Author Topic: 100 year old iron patio furniture: anyone recognize?  (Read 2679 times)

beethoven41

• View Profile
100 year old iron patio furniture: anyone recognize?
« on: July 09, 2010, 02:25:54 pm »
Hello,

I hope you can help me identify the manufacturer of a set of iron patio furniture that was my grandmothers. She bought it from a woman in New Jersey 55 years ago and that woman had it for 45 years, for a total of 100 years. I'm going to sell it but first I have to identify it.

The same furniture was used in the movie "The Notebook". When the old Allie is sitting on the lawn by the lake at the nursing home and her children come to see her, she is sitting on the identical iron lawn furniture that I have.

I appreciate any help!

Thank you,
Angie

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: 100 year old iron patio furniture: anyone recognize?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 07:38:02 pm »
So far have found this......

http://www.jardinique.co.uk/garden_antiques/antique_garden_furniture.htm

"19th Century cast iron Britannia table with marble top together with early 20th century set of six wrought iron chairs with ivy leaf decoration and cushion seats."

Appears to have similar ivy and 'S' shaped design.....just nothing shown in the armed chair version.

beethoven41

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 09:18:34 pm »
Thank you!!! With your help, I was able to find this web site:

http://www.joanbogart.com/general_details.php?productid=494&ptitle=Woodard Wrought Iron Patio Set

Now I know exactly what I've got. I really appreciate it!

Angie

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 12:46:31 am »
Great leap from what I found for you to your jackpot! Glad I was able to give some help.

Using your find I located this, thought it might come in handy....although it appears to knock a few years off the 100. :(

http://www.woodard-furniture.com/woodard/history

BTW, welcome to the forum beethoven41 !

beethoven41

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 09:58:43 am »
That's great information! I think the story I was always told about my grandmother buying it from someone who had it for 45 years must have been embelleshed over the years. It couldn't be more than about 75-80 years old.

I bought this item on ebay last night to go along with my furniture. It's an original ad from 1949.

And, we have decided to keep it!

Thank you!

Angie

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 08:58:49 pm »
Great keeper Angie!  Enjoy and keep your information together for future family who "inherit" these great pieces!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!