Author Topic: Not related to ebay, but I figured I should post this to my fellow members.  (Read 3397 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Your Private PHONE NUMBERS ARE NOW ON FACEBOOK!! Go to the top right of your screen, click Account then Edit Friends. Go to the left side of your screen and click Phonebook. Everyone's phone numbers are now being published. Please repost to let your friends know this is happening so they can remove their phone numbers!!! Do this by changing your privacy settings. Privacy Settings, Phone, Customize, Only me!

Facebook has the most horrible privacy invasion problems. I am considering deleting my account because of this. Look how many times they have been on the news for privacy issues and giving out our information. Now they publish our personal cell and home numbers without even asking ahead of time?? Absolutely crazy! I don't want everybody in my friends list knowing my numbers!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
THANK YOU hosman for that alert!  I was horrified to see that and know those on my list would be too.  If it weren't for the fact that I use it to keep in touch with family on the other side of the country I would have deleted my account immediately.  How DARE they???

hosman321

• View Profile
My question is how in the WORLD did they get my personal cell numbers?? There must be a site or something that they are connected to. I'm sure we'll all be seeing something on the news about it soon. Why didn't they ask me if I wanted to distribute my personal numbers to others? They didn't even have my permission to GET them!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Can't wait to hear the explanation when this hits the news.  I posted this in my status (guess that's what it's called) so everyone on my list will see. I did notice that the phone numbers of one son and his girlfriend are not on there.  They must have either been aware or recently became aware of it.

Again thanks so much, I've already spread the word to the other forum I'm on and I know that most if not all there are on FB and will appreciate the revelation. ;)

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
Thanks for the heads up Hosman321.
This is just one more reason I long for the by gone era of antiques where life seemed way less complicated and Big Brother didn't exist.
You really have to think twice about every thing you do in this day and age as honor,privacy, and integrity are disappearing slowly but surely.
I wish our governments would do a better job of protecting it's slaves (taxpayers) and stop letting the dollar rule at the cost of peoples rights and freedoms.JMO

Sara Finn

• View Profile
There are so many loopholes (for the end user) to fall through , especially when it comes to the ability of the software 'owners' to make additions or changes to their original End User License Agreement (EULA) without the end users' knowledge or approval.
Everyone has to sign-on to the terms, if they want to use the software.
The EULA is a contract and the 'software owner' is acting within the terms of it when they bring on new 'features'.
In my experience , most people just click the "I agree" button without reading the entire EULA.

I personall don't use facebook, myspace, IM chat, O/L banking & etc&etc&etc , due to the fact that they're often (over) loaded with 'EULA-related' & intrusive software.
I do really feel like this is a common 21st century "Free Lunch" illusion, for computer/cell phone consumers; it's also a bonanza for marketing folks (and for others too).

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Thanks Hosman!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

I guess I am missing something on this post.  I checked Facebook and the only number that appears is a phone number that the user posted.  None of my numbers appeared or those of my very limited friends, except that 1.  Are you sure you did not submit your phone numbers to your account at some time?  I do not allow many people to view or post my page (ha, ha  only 8).  I got the page for access to a memorial page put on for a friend's daughter that passed away at 22.

hosman321

• View Profile
Definitely sure we never added our phone numbers to our accounts. I didn't even use my real last name on mine because I didn't want anybody ever knowing it. And my husband has only had his current cell number for a couple months. He definitely didn't go into his account since then and add a phone number. It's some sort of intrusive software. My husband is thinking they got his cell number from him logging in using his internet on his cell. The cell phones are in my name, so they couldn't have looked up the number on a website, they took it and posted it without asking. It's ridiculous, Americans have ZERO privacy!

Slappy Finds

• View Profile
If you use Facebook on your Cell Phones, it takes the numbers from there without you realizing that it is available to Friends or whatever you have your settings at. I would say 85% of people do not know their numbers are listed to other members. You need to physically go in there and take it out of your Cell Phone, as well as make sure it is not listed in the regular online site. Also, default settings have your page visibility set to Friends of Friends. That means someone can look at your friends page, and look at their friends list and access your profile. You need to go in your security settings and make it set in like 10 places to "Friends Only", unless you do not care about people not on your friends list accessing your profile. If it is a band page or a antiques page or something you want strangers to see, set it to everyone, but personal profiles I leave set to friends only--