Author Topic: Antique Coffee Table or Reproduction?  (Read 4084 times)

Hybrid

• Never pass up an opportunity, a 2nd may not arise
    • View Profile
Antique Coffee Table or Reproduction?
« on: July 17, 2010, 06:13:21 pm »
 Ok so I'm new to Antique collecting, I've purchased a few things over the years not know what they are or a value on them but merely just cause I liked that particular item at that particular time...
 Well today I was Yard Sale jumpin (going from yard sale to yard sale) and I came across this awesome looking coffee table for only $1, I immediately said "that's mine here's your buck" and paid the lady before someone else had a chance to see it...lol
 Well I am just wondering if any of you can give me some info on this piece and possibly even a value...?, the only visible marking that I've found says "6560 ½", I would greatly appreciate any help I can get... Thanx...:D

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Antique Coffee Table or Reproduction?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 11:39:25 pm »
Dang, why can't I find cool stuff like that for $1. I need to get out to the sales this summer! I did pass by a Hollywood Video today and all the movies were $.99 because it was closing. We stocked up. :)
Anyways, something about it screams "roarin' 20's" to me. Kind of coming out of the Victorian Era and into the Art Deco Era. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 11:41:47 pm by hosman321 »

Hybrid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 10:55:59 am »
Dang, why can't I find cool stuff like that for $1. I need to get out to the sales this summer! I did pass by a Hollywood Video today and all the movies were $.99 because it was closing. We stocked up. :)
Anyways, something about it screams "roarin' 20's" to me. Kind of coming out of the Victorian Era and into the Art Deco Era. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in!

Wow it's possibly from the 20's huh?, that's great thanx for your help...:D
 Oh and congrats on the .99 cent movies...lol

Edit:
 With the info from hosman combine some of the research I've done I believe it may be a 20's French Victorian Style Coffee or Cocktail Table, still can't pinpoint a value though...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 01:18:01 pm by Hybrid »

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 01:54:03 pm »
An appropriate value would be around $75-$85 depending on the place of sale, I think. However, it could be a little higher (max $150 I think).

Hybrid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 04:03:25 pm »
An appropriate value would be around $75-$85 depending on the place of sale, I think. However, it could be a little higher (max $150 I think).
is that pretty average for a piece such as this or is that taking the condition and everything into consideration?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 08:16:58 pm »
Hi Hybrid.  This would sell for $35 to $55 in my neck of the woods due to condition.

Believe it is from the early 90's....the late 1920's looks about right.

I really like the piece.  Looks like the veneer on the top has some issues...but none that can't be fixed.

Really classy looking piece!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Hybrid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 08:20:37 pm »
Hi Hybrid.  This would sell for $35 to $55 in my neck of the woods due to condition.

Believe it is from the early 90's....the late 1920's looks about right.

I really like the piece.  Looks like the veneer on the top has some issues...but none that can't be fixed.

Really classy looking piece!!!!!!

What do you mean early 90's, you mean early 19th right?
thanx for all of your help...:D

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 04:19:41 pm »
I'd go with KCs' stated current value .

It looks 1920s-1940s to me , machine made , center stretchers screwed together ; missing a portion of the screwed-on "carved" trim portion on table-top (which is it's largest defect , IMO) .

If the (missing) "carved" portion was correctly replaced/repaired with wood & the whole table refinished , worth about $125 - $170 (retail) around my area (on a good day) .

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 04:36:58 pm »
Whoops, didn't notice the damage :P Yes, KC's value is quite right. Without damage I would think around $85-95 on average (like Craigslist sale), too bad it has condition problems :(

Hybrid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 06:32:55 pm »
thanx everyone for your help, yeah the broken piece is a bit of a downer but hey I only paid $1 for it...lol

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 06:38:56 pm »
It's great when you get a neat little piece of history for next to nuthin'. I know when we were kids these kinds of tables were always where we liked to play because you could roll toys around on the top of them and they wouldn't roll off the edge!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Hybrid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 07:13:36 pm »
yeah I like it a lot, though I wonder is it possible to find a replacement piece for it or just have one made?

Miss Platnum

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 08:52:02 am »
I don't know about its value, but this table is gorgeous! I don't even want to imagine it with a vase of flowers and some coffee cups... It will look great! ;)

http://antiquescanr.com

Hybrid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 10:14:00 am »
thanx, I rather enjoy it as well...:D