Poll

Chinese Antique table

?
0 (0%)
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Chinese Table  (Read 2404 times)

cristalm88

• View Profile
Chinese Table
« on: July 18, 2010, 04:43:37 pm »
Hello wondering if anyone can help me please?

My husband was given an antique Chinese table carved in is abalone. His parents got it like 25years ago I believe, and wanted to know it's value and artist. It has little scratches but we are planning to sell it and wanted to know what you think it's value?

Thank You for your time for viewing my post. ;)

Hybrid

• Never pass up an opportunity, a 2nd may not arise
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Table
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 04:58:56 pm »
that is a very beautiful table indeed, so far I've yet to see another like it, I'll look around for you and see what I can come up with... ;D

cristalm88

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 05:07:52 pm »
Thank You HYBRID  ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 11:09:19 pm »
cristalm88, there is no way to determine from your picture the age/era this is from.

They are still making/producing furniture in this style/inlay as imports into the US today.  If this is older, I am sure the quality is better than that which is being imported....however, the value won't be that much higher.

Suggest you do a search for coffee table with abalone inlay....you will see lots of furniture pop up that is still produced today....and the prices aren't that $$$$$$.

Still, a very, very beautiful piece.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cristalm88

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 11:41:29 pm »
KC

Thanks for the help.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 11:53:06 pm »
KC,
Would pictures of the underneath and any hardware help with dating? I'm no good with furniture.
:P

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 12:15:20 am »
I'm in the same boat as KC , when it comes to saying exactly what mat'ls have been used in building your table .

I do think that the design was a bit more thought out , as far as symbolism in the inlays , than alot of currently produced tables of this type .
When peacocks & peonies are depicted together in/on Chinese items , generally they stand for 'Fortune & Longevity" (or other positive variants) .
When peacocks face each other , it typically represents a symbol for 'the duality of all things' .

Lots of work went into the inlay on your little table (time is money) , so there's that...

If you do dare to , perhaps you could do a "red-hot needle" test (in an area where you'd have to tolerate the small damage , if it's synthetic) on the suspected MOP (Mother-Of-Pearl) material .
If the red-hot sewing needle does not melt the mat'l , it's probably shell of some sort .

It's not unknown to also use other types of shells -oyster,etc.- for such inlay work .
IMO , the MOP mat'l , if that's what it is , was either dyed or painted (in a couple of areas) - if it's been painted , do be careful if you're thinking about refinishing it .

I think it's possible that your table may be signed , somewhere hidden (or obvious) .

BTW , welcome to the forum , cristalm88 .
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 03:59:27 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 12:23:40 am »
Just a quick jump in here. When searching for other examples try using mother of pearl rather than abalone. Many more hits will surface.  ;)

http://www.canequest.com/mother_pearl.asp

The majority of examples will likely be those that are laquered instead of stained. Cristalm, could you possibly post clear pictures of the underside, including joins (method used often helps to date).  Beautiful piece, regardless of age.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 12:27:25 am »
Guess I have to get up earlier to beat fancypants!!  :D 

I did notice when I found that reference to MOP that the iridescent can be found in colors, though mostly green/pink.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 12:41:46 am »
Just found a site carrying new furniture in this style. Bangkok, Thailand. The wood used in the table below is rosewood. The central design looks very similar.  I would say that with the price tags on these, you have a nice piece on both counts if yours is also rosewood.  ;)

http://www.thailandtradenet.com/mother-of-pearl-furniture.htm

cristalm88

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 02:02:25 am »
Hi thanks so much for helping me out you guys!

I took pictures of underneath and had to fix the picture so you can try to see it. In person the words are faded but yet its night time lol but yeah hopefully you can see it and i will test it out later on today... thanks again you guys! :)