Author Topic: Strange Question.  (Read 9140 times)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Question.
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 07:15:32 am »
A wee bit more from that same Yelm site  ;)

Logging in the Twenties

"World War I (1914-18) spurred lumber production in the state and Yelm was no different. By the time of the 1920 census, nearly 25% of heads of households in the Yelm area identified themselves as having, in some way, jobs related to the timber industry. By then the McKenna mill was operating. Hammerschmith and Betchard had moved from their site in Roy to the Thurston County side of the river. Their mill employed 10-15 men in the woods and 15-20 workers at the mill on the hill that now bears the family name. A number of smaller mills still operated in the surrounding area."

Logging and the Great Depression

"The Hammerschmith mill sold its Yelm operations in 1931"

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 07:17:54 am »
I wonder if the ?IB mark was LIB......L Hammerschmith and sons ? ::)

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 07:36:20 am »
You Rock Sapph!
You mean like....the "L" was for the father's initial and the "I" and the "B" were the initials of each of the sons?

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 07:37:29 am »
And another little bit about Hammerschmith.  Almost the same as a previous hit, but with one added detail.....

L Hammerschmith & Thu     1926  1932     lr    unknown, 5 mi track at Yelm

Listed as a Surveyor for the State of Washington, 1926-32  (at least for that 5 mi)  ;)

http://www.olsonengr.com/download/surveyors.state.chrono.20060805.pdf

The previous link I had was in relation to logging roads and the railroad. So your little picket fence may have had a part in bringing the railway through  :)

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 07:41:27 am »
You Rock Sapph!
You mean like....the "L" was for the father's initial and the "I" and the "B" were the initials of each of the sons?

Tried to find some reference to the 'sons', but nothing so far.  The first figure just seems to resemble the start of an "L"

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 07:46:58 am »
Better pics. I don't know what the heck it is. Looks like it has 2 little legs on the bottom. It could also be incomplete, as you can see under the "I."
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 07:48:35 am by hosman321 »

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 07:50:39 am »
Maybe something like this? ::)

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 07:50:59 am »
You know, the first initial is an L. I can see the outline if I look really close. :P

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 07:51:33 am »
Ha! We posted at the exact same time. Thanks Sapphire. :)

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 07:55:39 am »
With or without the curly loop?   :D

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 07:57:08 am »
I can't decide which. :P
I think the line may go straight up like a normal "L." Through the middle of the circle. But I like your way better. Ugh, now that it's daylight I have to go see if the other pieces have this mark. Be right back.
Nope. No others. Thanks for all the help Sapphire!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 08:02:22 am by hosman321 »

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 08:15:29 am »
Great work guys.

Sapphire,once again your research skills are amazing and quite the asset to A.S.C.

Hosman321 way to go on giving this thought and not carelessly throw it into the fire.

It must have been the glory days when this fence served it's purpose and I think it's cool that your keeping a few pieces.
Would be neat to find a photo of it proudly standing in it's hey day.
Do you have any ideas on how or where your going to display your rescued 'arties'?

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 08:23:40 am »
Thanks Dean, small things can have some pretty cool stories. Wish I could find an old pic of the house back in the day. That'd be awesome. But my cousin has only owned the house for a few years, so I couldn't think of how to find one.
I'll probably put the pieces in random places. Probably on the floor in the new aviary room. Behind a plant or something. As an indoor ivy trellis. I don't know, somethin' cool lookin'. I'm still upset it was cut up man. I could have saved it! lol
I'm DYING for this cabinet to go with my new room but don't have the cash til the first. The new bird project sucked up all the spending cash. GRR
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/atq/1850452463.html

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 09:00:13 am »
hosman are they any museums, library archives or heritage societies locally? It's amazing what they have in their collections.......h eck, even post on Craigslist or Kijiji looking for pics!  You certainly wouldn't be the first.  Elderly neighbors from the area with old albums or shoe boxes. The possibilities for finding are endless.

It would be so awesome to have a picture and if you had a few scrap pieces from the fence, make a frame for it.

This search for you got me going back to some sites and discussions on an old family homestead.  More than 120 years of history, logging and ship building.  The original family home, land and wharf were donated to the province to be used as a provincial park. The main condition being the land and wharf be kept up and preserved in perpetuity.  The 300 ft wharf was built by family and local workers from trees off the land over 120 years ago.  After the gov't took over they ripped away half the wharf (not to mention they leveled the house shortly after taking possession).  In the last couple of years the fight has been on to save the rest of the wharf. Generations from old to very young have written and petitioned to save the last part of visible history. Last January demolition crews arrived unannounced, dismantled and carted away the remaining 150 ft.  No one was given the chance to even request a piece of it.....all hand logged off family land, hewn and placed by the hands of our previous generations. Ships were built that sailed the world from that wharf and now nothing is left of it or the beach it once sheltered.   

The more you can locate about your little piece of history the better.......at the rate our society is trashing our past there will soon be nothing left to help us and future generations remember.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 08:47:13 pm »
Hey hosman......found something else to go with your fence and the shabby chic pink cabinet you want.  ;)

So how did you want me to ship it?   :D