Author Topic: Caswell-Runyan Co. Antique Mahogany Cedar Chest  (Read 15861 times)

lmoses

• View Profile
Caswell-Runyan Co. Antique Mahogany Cedar Chest
« on: July 27, 2010, 07:32:10 pm »
Hello,
I am looking for the round about age of my hope chest and its value. I purchased this piece 30 years ago at a flea market for $75.00. Unfortunately I am moving into a new home with no spot to display my chest. I have decided to sell it but have no idea if its worth more or less than what i originally paid for it.
It was made by the Caswell-Runyan Co. located in Huntington Indiana. The attached paper states that the chest contains more three quarter inch Tennessee Red Cedar than recommended by U.S. Department of Agriculture also states it came with a moth damage guarantee when the attached post card was mailed back to the company which never was. The chest is 45" Long 30" Tall and 21" Deep, it appears that it was refinished before my purchase (not a great job). One of the back legs was glued years ago when the leg cracked there's also chips off of two of the legs toe area. The back of the chest is stamped with Cat.- No. 4453-R  &  Lot.- 1 - 44. In trying to research this co. i came across that it burned down in 1962. If you can provide me with any feed back on this chests approximate age  & value or any further information about this company it be greatly appreciated :-) Thanks..Linda    

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:44:01 pm by lmoses »

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Caswell-Runyan Co. Antique Mahogany Cedar Chest
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 09:00:05 am »
some times it's not what it's worth. but what you can get. I would expect $450.00 Dollars.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 02:51:32 am »
"Caswell-Runyan was owned by Utah Radio Products for many years and after WW2 merged into International Detrola. During their many years in business they made furniture, cedar chests, and also a lot of radio cabinets. There is a lot of history about the company on a website giving information about Huntington Indiana. The company is long since out of business and was liquidated in the mid-1950's."

http://www.huntingtoncounty.com/caswell-runyan.htm

Value $200 - $500
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

lmoses

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 05:18:13 am »
"Caswell-Runyan was owned by Utah Radio Products for many years and after WW2 merged into International Detrola. During their many years in business they made furniture, cedar chests, and also a lot of radio cabinets. There is a lot of history about the company on a website giving information about Huntington Indiana. The company is long since out of business and was liquidated in the mid-1950's."

http://www.huntingtoncounty.com/caswell-runyan.htm

Value $200 - $500

Thanks for the information.....Jus t purchased my house, very busy right now but intend to further investigate to see if I can find out the round about year that this chest was made. Reason I originally purchased this chest is because it was like my moms...funny thing is, her's is made by the Lane Co., which Caswell-Runyan sold out to in the late 1940's, information I found in a book from the Turner Publishing Co. (1993). I provided the link below if your interested in reading it. From everything I have read about this co. my guess is this chest was probably made sometime between 1907 and the late 1940's. I am now thinking about keeping this fine piece of history, had no idea it was made by the first cedar chest co....way cool!!

http://books.google.com/books?id=9qlWAXyn7HEC&pg=PA132&dq=caswell-runyan+co&hl=en&ei=EmlTTInqN8GB8gaL692sAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=caswell-runyan%20co&f=false

lmoses

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 05:27:48 am »
some times it's not what it's worth. but what you can get. I would expect $450.00 Dollars.

Thanks for your opinion on what to expect....if you don't mind me asking....how did you come up with that figure? Do you think I could get more if I find out the round about year that this chest was made? Would love to find someone from the Huntington area that was knowledgeable about the old style cedar chests from the Caswell-Runyan Co. Because of the Cat# and Lot# my assumption is that it was made between 1907 and the late 1940's...I could be way off, just not sure. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 01:56:56 pm »
Some of us have just been in the antique realm for a very long time and keep up with the market.  We see items rise in value and then for no reason fall.

It all depends on supply and demand. 

Yours will bring a higher value than most because of the higher legs it can double as a more usable furniture item.  Whereas many others will not bring near as much and are older.  Old does not translate into more money - nor does original purchase go up on everything.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!