Author Topic: So I found this really old pair of binoculars while cleaning a house...  (Read 1898 times)

New Age Picker

• View Profile
I found this pair of Bausch & Lomb Company binoculars while cleaning out a house on a job and I would really like some help finding out more information about them.
The only thing I can tell is that they where made sometime in the early 1900's around WW2. I found similar pairs that where used by the U.S military but I can't locate this exact piece on the net it seems to be missing a part of the optical lens. Here are some pictures.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I know its hard to tell because my camera is not that great but I observed small impacts all over the part that you would hold in your hand. On first observation I thought they could be from stray bullets since the material around the impact was melted but Then i thought about and I highly doubt these things could deflect a bullet. There are a total of 10 of these "impacts" all over the handles.

New Age Picker

• View Profile
Picture of other handle.

This is a picture of the emblem on the right side of the eyepeice it reads "BAUSCH & LOMB OPTICAL CO. ROSCHESTER NY" There is a emblem in the middle that looks like an upside down traingle with the letters U.S.A enscribed

This is a picture of the emblem enscribed on the left eyepeice it reads "PRISM STEREO 6 POWER" With "30mm APERT." in the middle of the emblem.

New Age Picker

• View Profile
underside picture of the handle.

underside picture of opposite handle.

Picture of outward optical lens.

close up picture of the adjusting piece.

New Age Picker

• View Profile
full picture of outward lens.

full picture of eyepiece.

attempted close up on U.S.A emblem.

Close up of PRISM STEREO emblem.

I would aprreciate any help that could be given. Thank you.

waywardangler

I am not an expert on binoculars but I do have a number of them including a pair of German WWII binocs that have internal graduations used to find ranges (tank use).  That pair has significant damage probably sustained during the war and brought back as a souvenir.  Modern binoculars are generally valued as to how well their internal parts have held up and how crisp and clear they are to look through.  B&L optics are pretty good.  These do not look like military or WWII.  The external looks pretty worn.  How are the internal optics performing?  This pair mainly looks like shelf candy and would add a nice look to a den or library room.  Very old antique binoculars are worth money.  20th century ones generally not unless the quality and condition is very high.  I would say less than $50 and probably in the $10-$20 range.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Welcome to the forum , New Age Picker .

Nice old B&L binocs .

Yours appear to be missing the eye-cups (rubber) .

Here's an image or two , similar to yours , used by the U.S. Army Signal Corps in the WW2 era , priced currently @ $21.50 .

The coatings on the prism case (main body) on these are notorious for deterioration , often due to acids & nitrate (gunpowder) residue on hands (also from all the rough & dirty conditions found on the ground during war) , as well as exposure to sunlight .