Author Topic: OLD BOTTLE FROM POTOMAC  (Read 1755 times)

Mr.Curiosity

• View Profile
OLD BOTTLE FROM POTOMAC
« on: August 02, 2010, 12:02:19 pm »
My father found this bottle in a crane bucket of sediment from the Potomac River in the early 50s while building a bridge in D.C. I've tried to research this bottle ,in the absence of number or markings,I have pretty much come up more confused.I do know,despite myself,it's 13'' tall and 2 and3/8'' diameter at the bottom.My previous posts here have been an excellent experience! Thanks if you can help !!!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: OLD BOTTLE FROM POTOMAC
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 01:35:53 pm »
VERY cool!! Looks like an oldie to me! Go to this site, read through the info on how to identify bottles and determine age, then email the guy who runs the site with photos of your bottle. He was very helpful to me in determining the age of a Medford Rum bottle that I had.

http://www.sha.org/bottle/faqs.htm#Do
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Mr.Curiosity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 01:39:04 pm »
Thank you Tales !!! I'll give it a whirl !

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 03:21:59 pm »
The different thickness of the glass as shown is the 1st photo and what looks to be a pommel on the bottom tells me it is a "hand blown" bottle.

Mr.Curiosity

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 09:00:39 pm »
Thanks cogar for the input-it IS hand blown .I did although discover,via the site provided by Tales,it is most likely an ''olive oil" bottle circa.1850-1870 (roughly).Probably not worth much in a retail setting,but will look really cool with my favorite olive oil and pour spout in it . Thanks once again Tales ! I probably will send an email to the guy that runs the site just to make sure .

Sara Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 10:20:44 pm »
Nice old bottle, Mr.Curiosity!

I agree about the olive-oil bottle, since I had a few in the way-back times of my early collecting.

Great idea to use it again!
 :)