Author Topic: Several dishes  (Read 1896 times)

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
Several dishes
« on: August 02, 2010, 01:05:44 pm »
So, as I mentioned in a previous note, my husband had boxes and boxes of china inherited from his grandmother sitting in an attic, which we "discovered" when we were packing to move.  Now that we are unpacking, I'm curious about several of these pieces.

First up is this set of 7 kidney-shaped dishes.  Ideas on value, history, and usage?    They are marked "Johnson Bros England"

Next is this lovely set of china -- platter, serving dish with cover, and cream/sugar set.  The cream/sugar is unmarked. the bowl is marked "Homer Laughlin", and the platter is marked "French Saxon China" and "22k gold".  They appear to be the same pattern, though!  Any ideas on pattern name, value, age, etc?

Finally, a lovely sake set.  We THINK that this was a wedding gift to my husband's parents, so it would be around 55 years old.  Any ideas on maker, age, etc?   The brushwork on the box is hand-done, because the ink runs in the grain of the wood.  I suppose it's too much to hope that someone can read Japanese and tell me what the box says!

Thanks for all your help and information!

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Several dishes
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 02:59:36 pm »
Curious your  kidney-shaped dish is called a bone dish, Four Johnson brothers took over Charles Street Works Pottery in Staffordshire,England in 1883. In 1968 the company became part of the Wedgwood group, most desired patterns are old britain castle, strawberry fair, wild turkeys, mill stream and friendly village. Bone dishes from The Johnson bros. can range from $5.00 each up to $90.00 each for patterns & styles  which are rare such as flow blue. Yours I would say on the  $5.00 end.
 Homer Laughlin Started their company in East Liverpool, Ohio in 1871. They moved to Newell, West Virginia in 1929 and as of 2004 was still in operation, I could not see the pattern well enough to try & track it for current value, try replacements.com & look through the patterns they have on Homer Laughlin it will take some time but you may find it.  ;D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 03:44:31 pm »
The Homer Laughlin looks to be the Virginia Rose shape but like Windy, I can't see the pattern well enough to identify it.

So, iffen you go to "replacements.com" then first look for Virginia Rose and then look for you pattern under that heading.

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 04:13:38 pm »
Thanks!  I have another platter that is marked "Virginia Rose", although the patterns look slightly different.  But I will go over to Replacements.  I appreciate all your advice!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 05:12:28 pm »
The seven dishes were often used for afternoon tea or get-togethers of the ladies!  Nice!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 06:42:44 am »
CC, there are dozens n' dozens of different "Virginia Rose" patterns.