Author Topic: Oak? Wardrobe  (Read 1543 times)

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
Oak? Wardrobe
« on: August 02, 2010, 01:15:41 pm »
Another piece we inherited from my husband's dad.  As best we can figure, this belonged to my husband's great-grandfather.  There are no manufacturer's marks on the back (and if there are any on the bottom, they will remain a secret, because the piece is too heavy to tilt over!  Does anyone have any ideas on value or age?

All the locks work, and the original mirror is intact.

Small drawer joinery details.

Large drawer joinery details.

Interior hardware -- hat rack?

Interior hardware -- clothes hanger and...tie rack?

Keys, including my husband's paternal grandfather's Mason keyring with his name, county of membership, and the phrase "America First".

The piece has some damage.  Both front feet are damaged -- I sent out one half of one foot (each foot is in two pieces, "bookended") to create the pattern for making the other one, which is practically gone.  There is a trim piece missing at the lower edge of the left side.  Otherwise, it's in pretty good shape!

Thanks in advance for all your help!

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Oak? Wardrobe
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 01:29:52 pm »
Looks 1880s-1890's to me. But that's just an uneducated guess on my part. In my area they don't come up for sale too often. But when they do, they go for between $500 and $600 in good shape. Sometimes people don't realize what they have and list them for $150. They go FAST when that happens. :)
They are huge, heavy and akward to move so people generally don't want to pay too much for them.

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 01:36:59 pm »
RE: Huge, heavy and awkward to move.  As we say in the country, "you ain't woofin'!!!"  We had professional movers come, and they didn't balk at our fireproof gun safe, but they were sweating bullets over the armoire. 

The timeframe would be about right, for my husband's great-grandfather to have bought it as a newly married man.  Thanks!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 01:39:50 pm »
The huge and heavy things are usually the most beautiful and they last forever! I wish I had space for something like that. Hope the repairs go well!