Author Topic: Not sure its period or whats its value or even if it real  (Read 3357 times)

taxidermywalker

• View Profile
Not sure its period or whats its value or even if it real
« on: August 05, 2010, 08:20:09 am »
Ok i bought this from a barn sale......Now at the time i figured it was real and had to be some sort of value. But after a month of research and even go as far as trying to contact corona themselves im at a lost. Everythign on it is old you can tell but im wondering if it didnt used to be some other kind of old cooler and someone painted the corona or is it orginal. It has 4 metal V shaped legs to keep it off the ground that is not pictured. So any info would be awesome.....im just hoping its orginal and are hard to find. I was really wanting to sale it soon for i really have no place to show it off since it so big but had no idea what its was worth. Thanks for yalls help again on the cream seperator!

waywardangler

Re: Not sure its period or whats its value or even if it real
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 11:39:27 am »
It looks like the old type cooler for pop bottles so I suppose it could have been used for beer bottles also.  The pop bottles stood upright in a bath of chilled water. Some had a chiller for the water and older ones simply used chipped ice in the chest.  I actually bought pop out of an old store still using one of these in 1977 in Star Valley, Wisconsin.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 11:48:17 am by waywardangler »

taxidermywalker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 12:20:25 pm »
Any clue if corona had some of these or if this was repainted and what kind of value would be good to try and sale this for?

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 12:33:24 pm »
http://www.lafuente.com/product.php?pid=2565 has a new one for $529 so I would assume old ones were also made with the Corona name on them.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 01:13:49 pm »
Well, I learn something new every day, especially on this forum. It turns out Corona Extra has been around a lot longer than I thought. It has been produced since 1925 in Mexico. So it looks like you've got a very cool period cooler that dates to the early production of Corona Extra in Mexico!

This Wiki page has all the info on Grupo Modelo, the company that produces Corona Extra and on the production of this beer. Cheers!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grupo_Modelo
Antiqueaholic in recovery

taxidermywalker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 01:28:27 pm »
Thats what i was thinking. But it so crazy i cant find another like it anywhere ive searched and searched. So its hard to put a price on it when its the only one i can find. Ive seen the coca cola ones just like this but i can find those everywhere. This however has been quite the task. But glad to hear and see some more proof that they were here back in the day...so thats one positive to this being possibly an orginal and hard piece to find.

Slappy Finds

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 01:30:11 pm »
It also looks like it was used near a beach or the water. It has that kind of look and wear!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 01:32:35 pm »
I suspect that you could find them in Mexico, but they would probably be less common in the USA.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

taxidermywalker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 09:11:15 am »
Yep that the closest ive seen.........there has to be another lol

CollectorsOnlineMall

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 11:37:17 am »
In looking at your pictures it does seem that while the entire ice box shows signs of wear the Corona logos don't.    Could be just the pictures, but I think that would be a way to tell if it's real or if the logos were painted on later.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 11:56:51 am »
Looks like the real deal to me!  These have been around for a very long time.  Betting this is from 1930's.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

taxidermywalker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 01:00:31 pm »
That would be awesome....the guy i bought it from had a barn sale and cleared his barn out.....he said it had been in there longer than he could remember and he was defiantely an ole timer. Just wish there was a way to tell the value or get an appraisal.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 06:13:08 pm »
What are the dimensions?  This would sell easily in my neck of the woods!  Lots of beer memorabilia collectors out there!  Texans love their Corona.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

taxidermywalker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 07:38:28 pm »
Ill get the measurements to ya a little later when i get hom KC...thanks