Author Topic: Old handmirror  (Read 2033 times)

ZippityDoDa

• View Profile
Old handmirror
« on: August 06, 2010, 11:23:00 pm »
My parents moved into a smaller house about a year or so ago, in the process they gave me and my wife a lot of their antiques they weren't able to keep.  Over the past year my wife and I have been slowly going through the boxes trying to decide what to keep, and what to put where type thing.  My grandmother collected dishes, which probably covers about 50% of what we took in.  In the process of going through a box of knick-knacks I ran into a hand mirror.  The metal work on it is very pretty, and is in quite good shape.  I believe it is pewter. The mirror is relatively solid and heavy, at least for it's size.  It probably weighs in around 1 - 2 lbs, is roughly 1/4 inch thick and 6 inches tall.

The thing that baffles me is that it has a specific date and place on it, October 6, 1896 St. Louis I have researched around a bit, finding nothing that was special about that time and place in St. Louis.  It also has a viking looking face wearing a VP helmet/hat with what almost looks like cat ears coming out of the top on both sides of the handle.  I took it to an antique dealer locally, and he guessed it may have come from a World Fair.  My mother's family was from the area in the late 1800s - early 1900s so it makes sense that they could have been at a Fair at that time.

Sorry for the picture quality, I only have a cell phone camera.  They are much higher resolution if you click the picture.  I can try and get better pictures if you want to see something about it.

This is more to show relative size.  The envelope is larger than your standard envelope, so I put a CD next to it to give a little proportion.

This is the back of the mirror, showing the date and place I mentioned. I have been trying to figure out what VP would mean.

This shows the rear of the handle in detail, with some bearded guys face, who is wearing a VP hat with ears coming out of it, it almost looks like.  Doesn't make a lot of sense.

This shows the front, mirror side of the hand mirror.  With the same bearded guy design.

Showing the smudges and little wear and tear on the mirror. I am going to clean it as best as I can.

I am not really looking for a price, although if you want to give one that would be nice.  I don't plan on parting with it, as I like it as does my wife.  I am really just more interested in a possible information about its origins.  Any ideas would be fantastic.

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Old handmirror
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 02:46:34 am »
Although I can't give a price, maybe this will help you. ;) I love wikipedia!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veiled_Prophet_Ball
Beautiful mirror by the way, I wouldn't want to part with it either. Very unique, to say the least.
The style looks really art deco to me, about 1910's-1920's. I don't think it was made in the 1800's but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 02:50:27 am by hosman321 »

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 06:27:23 am »
This is a Veiled Prophet mirror as hosman mentioned and it is from 1896.  The following description is from Worthpoint...http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/denmark-silver-hand-mirror-dated-1896-marked-vp
Thank you for visiting my auction. is a beautiful mirror dated October 6th 1896. This was purchased by my grandparents over 111 years ago and has been in our family the entire time. The silver is Denmark Silver and is in excellent condition only needing cleaning. The glass in the mirror has aged and is cloudy as shown in the picture 3 above. It has 2 small 1/2" scratches on it which could be easily refinished. Please note that the back of the mirror as shown in the first picture shows VP the date and St. Louis. VP stands for the Veiled Prophet which is a parade in St. Louis, MO that takes place every year. The first Veiled Prophet Parade took place on October 8th, 1878, and was sponsored by the Veiled Prophet Organization, a group of businessmen who wanted to promote St. Louis. The handle on both sides shows a decorative pattern and the image of the Veiled Prophet himself with the VP symbol on his headdress. This description is one someone wrote in their eBay selling page.  I do not have a subscription to Worthpoint so I have no idea what this one sold for however this one on eBay ended at about $55 recently http://cgi.ebay.com/1896-VP-Veiled-Prophet-Ball-St-Louis-Ornate-Hand-Mirror_W0QQitemZ130412454803QQcategoryZ1460QQcmdZViewItem

If you want to read more about Veiled Prophet http://www.veiledprophet.org/content/view/37/41/
it is still active in St. Louis.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:31:13 am by waywardangler »

ZippityDoDa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 07:59:22 am »
Wow that was quick.  Thanks for the very informative replies.  I will print them off to show my wife and mom, as my mom didn't know the back story on the mirror either.  I am sure they will be interested to know as well.

Thanks again for the help.