Author Topic: Japanese back saws  (Read 6802 times)

NastyNate

• View Profile
Japanese back saws
« on: August 14, 2010, 01:11:04 pm »
I picked up a pair of what I believe are Japanese back saws from 1940 or so.
The date is mostly a guess.

Other than that, I have no other information on them.
Pictures below.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time!

waywardangler

Re: Japanese back saws
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 04:09:59 pm »
I believe the value in Japenese saws lies with the maker.  I cannot read Japanese but I assume the symbols on the handle would be the maker?  I do not think they are backsaws, as American/European/Japanese backsaws have a stiff spine of brass or iron opposite the cutting edge.

NastyNate

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 05:46:59 pm »
well thanks for the insight. (Hoping someone reads Japanese here) HA If you were to find these at a garage sale what would you pay for them?  

EDIT wonder if I should go to a Japanese steak house near where I live and see if someone could translate..... 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 05:55:38 pm by NastyNate »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 06:01:35 pm »
Would this possibly be a bonsai or pruning saw? Haven't found anything on a triple (or even double ) blade one yet, but certainly looks similar to the newer single blade ones I've come across.

Will keep an eye out for you.  ;)

NastyNate

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 06:07:08 pm »
I really do appreciate you all taking the time to look into this for me. I normally don't pick up stuff like this. I stick to what I know, this however caught my eye and couldnt resist. If you stumbled across this as I did what would you pay? Just a shot in the dark?

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 06:10:10 pm »
Well, not really knowing their true value........but knowing they'd look good on the wall next to my fan, I'd likely hand over $30 - 35 for them (for both) .  But that's just me, no expert.....just gravitate towards stuff I like.  Believe me, they've had a few laughs at me here over what I have gravitated towards.  :D

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 08:23:56 pm »
I agree with sapphire on $30 for the pair at a sale.  Without knowing their quality, sharpness, etc., I think that would be the max I would pop for the pair (I would really be happier at $5 apiece) as I know nothing about Japanese saws.

So, what did you pay?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 10:06:54 pm »
Believe it or not, I actually recognize the two larger charactors. I know them from the wind tiles in the game of Majong. The upper one is "east" the lower one is "south"

« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 10:09:55 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 10:08:27 pm »
Nice little pair of folding saws , NastyNate .

I'd date them (without a hands-on inspection) to be 50-60yrs old , max.

I'm really curious to know , on the triple-blade folding pull-saw , if one of the blades is toothed for ripping wood (along the / with the grain) , since that would be a bit more unusual for a saw of this type (it would not be the thin keyhole saw) .

Looks like maybe they could use a little cleaning & a coat of mineral oil (I wouldn't be afraid of lessening their value by doing so) .

These were folding general purpose saws , common in Japan & used for things like us Americans would use larger hand-saws .
Looks like they were hanging on/in someones' work-bench area .
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 10:24:12 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 11:42:50 pm »
I would tend to agree with fancy!

Look really nice!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 06:07:12 am »
My guess is that your saws were brought “back home” by a US Military man.

My older brother Jim, who is retired AF Sgt., spent many years in Japan and Okinawa, even married a Japanese gal, showed me the “folding backsaw” he brought back to the States with him.  He preferred it 200% over any American made saw because it was so much nicer to use in that one can more easily control the cutting by “pulling” the saw teeth thru the “cut” rather than trying to “push” the saw teeth thru the “cut”. Hand saw blades tend to “bend” or “jump” when being “pushed” through the “cut”, and that is why most everyone using an English made saw starts their “cutting” by dragging the blade backward to create a “starting groove”.

NastyNate

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 07:25:50 am »
I picked the up for $10 for the pair. If anything I figured I could get that much back out of them. Like I said before I normally stick with what I know, too many times I pay to much for something worth nothing. Its been a while since that's happened. I talk to the guy I bought them from an he said he has used them recently to make a few cuts. He said he hated to use them but they were a better cut than his "new" pull saw.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 09:59:56 am »
I agree NastyNate (LOL).  You should be able to get your investment back and then more!

I agree cogar.  Hate to have the push part of sawing and having a starting groove.  I had to go take a look see...and the one that I use is in fact from overseas as well.  Was my dad's and I am sure he brought it home when he was in the Navy!  It is one of those items that is a pass-it-down when I leave this earth and go to the antiquing heavens!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 11:41:13 am »
As a former tree trimmer I can tell you that Japanese blades are still the thing to buy for saws; hand saws or pole saws either one. I can't tell about this saw, but the modern ones have teeth that are angled out to the side slightly, one going to one side and the next to the other and so on. It's a design that allows for maximum cutting. Compare side by side with a regular hand saw and the difference is amazing.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 06:42:46 am »
I believe all "tree trimming" saws are "pull" saws, just like all "chainsaws" are.

have teeth that are angled out to the side slightly, one going to one side and the next to the other and so on.

All the things ya really don't need to know about "saw blades".  ;D ;D ;D

The left/right angle of the saw teeth is called the "set" of a saw blade and the "set" is determined by one or more of the following "purposes" for which the saw is going to be used for: (1)cutting - cross-cut, rip, miter, etc.; (2) hard or soft wood; (3) thickness of the wood; and (4) finish or rough cut. A "finish" or "rough" cut is also determined by the "# of teeth per inch".

For the "weekend wordworker", just buy yourself a "cross-cut" handsaw, a "pruning" saw and/or a "combination" blade for your electric powered saw.