Author Topic: Japanese back saws  (Read 6808 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese back saws
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 08:25:38 am »
Wow....I just got educated!  Thanks!!!!!!

Just to keep the roll that he started going..........
We need to mention a very important part that goes hand in hand with the information that cogar gave.....it is the kerf!
Width of the saw cut. On majority of saws the kerf is wider than the blade because the teeth are flared out sideways (set). This allows the blade to move through the cut easily without getting stuck (binding). :O
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Omega Entity

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 08:08:50 pm »
Believe it or not, I actually recognize the two larger charactors. I know them from the wind tiles in the game of Majong. The upper one is "east" the lower one is "south"

Actually, the lower one isn't 'south' but you have the top one correct. I've been trying to locate the lower character in my kanji dictionaries, but I've been coming up blank. If these are old enough, it's possible that the lower character has been transposed into something easier to write/recognize. I'm still looking up the top two, and I'll post when I have something more definitive.

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 10:01:29 pm »
I believe all "tree trimming" saws are "pull" saws, just like all "chainsaws" are.

have teeth that are angled out to the side slightly, one going to one side and the next to the other and so on.

All the things ya really don't need to know about "saw blades".  ;D ;D ;D

The left/right angle of the saw teeth is called the "set" of a saw blade and the "set" is determined by one or more of the following "purposes" for which the saw is going to be used for: (1)cutting - cross-cut, rip, miter, etc.; (2) hard or soft wood; (3) thickness of the wood; and (4) finish or rough cut. A "finish" or "rough" cut is also determined by the "# of teeth per inch".

For the "weekend wordworker", just buy yourself a "cross-cut" handsaw, a "pruning" saw and/or a "combination" blade for your electric powered saw.

I was refering to a Pole Saw, as in a saw on the end of a pole. Trust me, eighty feet up and doing a difficult cut at some wierd angle with a sixteen foot Pole Saw, you want the best blade you can get :P!

Omega Entity

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 11:21:43 pm »
The smaller characters above the 'North' kanji, together are 'touroku', meaning 'Registration'. Still looking for that large bottom kanji.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 07:54:47 am »
I was refering to a Pole Saw, as in a saw on the end of a pole. Trust me, eighty feet up and doing a difficult cut at some wierd angle with a sixteen foot Pole Saw, you want the best blade you can get !

Skinny, I wasn't trying to up-stage you or hijack your post or whatever, just being a little "mouthy" for the potential benefit of the dozen's n' dozens of "guest viewers" of this forum, most of which probably don't know as much about "tree trimmin" and/or "sawing wood" as you and I do. I guess it is just an old habit I can't seem to "break" given the fact that I was educated as a HS Teacher of the Sciences .... but only taught for 3 months after graduating.

Anyway, I have a "pole saw" hanging somewhere on a couple nails that I haven't used for a few years. Used it for trimming my fruit trees. And I know several guys, including 2 of the wife's nephews, who are truly "experts" at tree trimming. They all work or worked for Asplundh Services for years n' years, primarily trimming electric utility right-of ways.

And I know whatcha mean, I have watched several of those boys, at different times, swinging on a rope like a trapeeze artist, 80 to 100+ feet in the air, with a small chainsaw tied to their belt, and the limbs n' branches a falling like bowling pins as they "cut their way toward the ground". The wife's nephew Pete, once cut a Walnut tree, clear to the ground, that sat about 15 feet from the edge of my deck and which musta been 120 feet high. I sat there on the deck drinking beer and watched him do it.

Skinny, there are oodles n' oodles of trees to be trimmed and/or cut down iffen ya live in West Virginia.  Cheers

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 06:27:15 pm »
Hey Cogar, no offence taken. My Dad's the real Arborist anyway, he's 61 now and he's been climbing since he was 16. I'm a pretty good tree trimmer, but I've never made it to the level of doing any really tough takedowns. Scary, and potently very costly if you make a mistake:o.

antiqueslover

• View Profile
    • Salt and Pepper Sets
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 07:54:43 am »
is that for sale?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 03:03:18 pm »
Just sent a pic off to some of my friends in hopes they can help out!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

NastyNate

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 08:42:13 am »
is that for sale?

They are not for sale at the moment. I need to decide if I want to start selling on ebay or not. I have tons of stuff but don't know if its worth the time.

Just sent a pic off to some of my friends in hopes they can help out!

Thanks, again any information would be greatly appreciated.

NastyNate

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 08:19:20 pm »
Bump for this, I have been looking around and still couldnt find anything.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 08:26:00 pm »
All the pics are gone!

Omega Entity

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 11:05:06 pm »
The pics show up fine for me...