Author Topic: Planes and a box  (Read 1248 times)

NastyNate

• View Profile
Planes and a box
« on: August 16, 2010, 05:34:12 pm »
Well seeing how everyone here has been so helpful I figured why not take advantage of your kindness LOL.... In all seriousness I really appropriate people taking the time to answer my questions.  From as long as I can remember I have always bought and sold stuff with my father. I have learned a great deal from him, and absolutely love finding new treasures. Just the sight of what other consider junk I find fascinating and figure you all do as well. So I have been thinking this will be my new home for my unusual finds, because the girl friend rolls her eyes every time I walk in the door after a day of garage sales.

I have here a couple planes one is a Stanley #5 and an unknown smaller one.

My question is should I restore them?

I have the time and love projects but wondering if my $1.00 investment in the pair will have any type of profit worth hours of restoring.  

The second item is a box that was given to my Girlfriend from a pen-pal years ago. The box as she was told was made in Germany where her pen-pal grew up, he picked it up who knows where. Just more of a curiosity more than anything else. There is no inscription, no maker, nothing but the date.

waywardangler

Re: Planes and a box
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 12:40:27 am »
Your number 5 plane is missing the iron and cap.  I do not see the name 'Stanley' cast into the body, so I think this was made for a hardware store.  Quite common size and the missing parts should not be too hard to pick up.  Too tough of shape and too common for any collector value but would be a good user if cleaned up with a lot of elbow grease.  Same goes for the smaller low angle block plane.  A name may be on the cutting iron under the rust.  Another one that could be used after it is cleaned up.  If you are not going to use them, I would not expend the time in cleaning them up.  I would resell them together for $5+ and make a little profit.

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Planes and a box
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 08:35:30 am »
Now I think that is a cute little block plane and I personally think that it would be worthwhile iffen you spend 10 - 15 minutes wire brushing the dirt off/out of it and then give it a light coat of oil. Nothing more, it doesn't have to actually work, only to "look used", cause its a nice little "decorator piece" for someone to take home and sit on a shelf. 

Iffen you decide to sell it at a flea market or garage sale, .... don't put a sticker price on it. But the 1st person that picks it up and looks it over with interest, ..... tell them "$20". And iffen they start to put it back down, quickly say "17.50". And so on n' so on, keep dropping the price at $2.50 a clip, and I'll just betcha they will take it home with them fore ya get down to a $5 bill.