Author Topic: Help With Small Box..  (Read 2202 times)

DizE

• View Profile
Help With Small Box..
« on: August 17, 2010, 03:36:24 pm »
This came in a box lot that I bought at an estate auction. Was just curious on what it is? The Date? and maybe if there is any value to it?
The bottom is marked "Made In Italy"
This object is not very big, Probably a little bigger than a 50 cent piece.

Thanks.

waywardangler

Re: Help With Small Box..
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 04:08:57 pm »
It appears to be a compact and these are very collectible.  A pic of the bottom with markings would help someone here date it or further identify the maker.

DizE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 04:35:39 pm »
As in compact box, do you mean a powder box for makeup?

I tried my best to get a good picture of the bottom, It's very small so this is the best I can do. Srry.

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 04:55:22 pm »
Yes, compact as an object that holds makeup powder.  The lady looks like it may be a reverse painting on glass.  Is this what it is?  Appears to be a finely detailed lady if this is an acutal reverse painted pic.  Case may be gold plated. It should be worth some $ but I do not know how much.   Here is a site with many examples http://www.davidandnoelle.net/catalogue.htm

DizE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 05:07:47 pm »
I dont think it is a reverse painting. It seems to be on paper under the glass, but there is no way to take it out unless broken. I really don't know.
Thanks for your info, and I'll be sure to take a look at the site.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 07:48:12 pm »
I don't believe it is a compact for powder but think it is a pill box.  1/2 dollar size isn't very big....wouldn't even cover a nose!  :)

Have seen quite a few similar to this....Made in Italy....sold from late 60's and forward.   They sold new from $3.00 and up.  This should be a "cheap" gold metal.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

DizE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 06:14:13 am »
KC I think you might be right, Deff wouldn't cover a nose and the gold metal is cheap looking.

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 10:00:49 am »
KC -- I think it is a pill box too, but not because of the size of the compact.  I collect modern and vintage/antique compacts, and some of them are very small.  They really are jewelry/accessories, rather than utilitarian items.  When you pull out a Swarovski crystal encrusted compact in the shape of a seahorse, or an American flag, or whatever -- it is more of a fashion statement than a true need to powder one's nose. 

Back to the compact -- another reason why I think it's for pills is because it would not be a very efficient loose powder compact.  It appears to have no proper latch.  No woman would want her compact to spill open in her purse, covering everything in dust.  All compacts I've seen, even rather old ones, have a latching mechanism to keep the powder secure.   Most 20th century compacts also have a disposable/replaceable insert (with its own latching mechanism) for pressed powder, which creates additional security for the product. 

DizE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 05:19:26 pm »
Any idea what this would be worth? Couple bucks?