Author Topic: Antique perfume. How much is this?  (Read 4437 times)

antiqueslover

• View Profile
    • Salt and Pepper Sets
Antique perfume. How much is this?
« on: August 18, 2010, 07:37:01 am »
I have this antique perfume that my grandma gave for me. I do not actually use it and not even opened it. She said that it was antique so how much I can sell this? I have pictures of it. I don't have any idea of the price I can give to it.

antiqueslover

• View Profile
    • Salt and Pepper Sets
Re: Antique perfume. How much is this?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 12:04:22 pm »
i really wonder.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 02:42:14 pm »
From the look/style of the very attractive bottle. Bottles like this are very collectible.
From the looks of it I wouldn't say it isn't antique (over 100 years) but that it is a classic item.  People use the term antique very loosely for something that is "old" and those of us on the forum here adhere a little more to the correct use of the term.  How did your grandmother come into possession of this?  (The older and able to establish the better.)

You would need to determine if it is silver or metal.  It appears that there is some writing/imprint on the metal in the first picture - can you read it and let us know or take a better picture of it?
Has it ever held perfume? OR was it a perfume bottle that was purchased in order to put perfume in and have on a dressing table? I am leaning towards the later.

You would also need to determine if it is crystal, cut glass or pressed glass (pressed has a seam).  The glass pattern resembles items (Ironlord I believe that you will see this) that were made in early 1900's to 60's.
AND lets not forget to ask you the size of it - if you can post the dimensions please.

To give you an idea of an established older bottle please view the following:
http://www.rubylane.com/item/598512-020310/Antique-English-Silver-Cut-Glass

Just for grins I have to add this video about the difference between crystal and glass
http://www.ehow.com/video_5774278_identify-antique-crystal-glass.html

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

antiqueslover

• View Profile
    • Salt and Pepper Sets
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 02:48:27 pm »
My grandma told me that she had that since she was little and was given by her mother. It was just stuck and was not used.

antiqueslover

• View Profile
    • Salt and Pepper Sets
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 09:09:44 am »
anyone can give me a better look at it?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 04:33:52 pm »
Looks for sure to be considered EAPG in style,  which was popular in the late 1800's to around the early 90's.  It does appear to be pressed glass, but close look at the glass and a simple tap will usually determine that.  I would have to look a bit closer at the pattern and go to this EAPG Site to find a possible match.   This could bring in top dollar as far a perfume bottles are concerned.  If you can prove it is EAPG or ACG  but like mentioned earlier it was Popular in the early days, but was still and is still produced today.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 04:37:15 pm »
It will REALLY help if you can tell us what it says on the metal top!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

antiqueslover

• View Profile
    • Salt and Pepper Sets
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 04:38:02 pm »
so if you would be asked, how much I can sell it? some of my friends want to have that, which is fine with me then because it's just a nuisance to me. i don't know at what price i would start.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 04:42:06 pm »
What we need to know is what the hallmarks (tiny letters, numbers or symbols) say. We can see them on the photo where the lid is popped open. Hallmarks can contain a wealth of information in identifying the material, maker and date. Without them it is nearly impossible to say what the value is.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

antiqueslover

• View Profile
    • Salt and Pepper Sets
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 04:47:07 pm »
oh wait. It seems there re no tiny letters or something in here. As of the moment, the item is not with me. I'll check it asap. Anyway thank you.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 04:49:51 pm »
Keep in mind the hallmarks on the top silverplate may not be the actual glass company that made it.  What we need is a really good picture of the pattern and I can spend a bit on time on this EAPG Glass site or look through the books to find the pattern.  Once the pattern is find a true value based on rariety can be added, but as for the value, if a EAPG pressed glass bottle with out knowing the maker will get you $25.00 to $50.00 on ebay most likely, books would probably give you $75.00 in value.  I have handled a few perfume bottles on ebay, most get 10 bucks, but they are usually not EAPG, more post depression.  Lots of movement on Perfume bottle.  If we can find the pattern and the maker, well that value could double.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 05:04:42 pm »
I wanted to comment, be REALLY CERTAIN that you want to part with any item that belonged to your great-grandmother. You might want to consider giving it to someone in the family, rather than selling it if it isn't something you want to keep. Once things are gone from the family, you'll never get them back again and they could be priceless heirlooms to future generations. The true value of this one may be in the connection it has to your ancestors. I personally wouldn't consider parting with anything that came from one of my greats.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 09:44:11 pm »
ironlord, true that the silver parts are generally made by the glass mfgrs - but once you get the hallmark information you can generally pair the two together!!!!!

modpod77

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 02:47:03 am »
Oh my God, it looks really amazing! I love it, want it so much.
Do you know where can I get it? In Asia?
bar stools clearance sale going on now...

antiqueslover

• View Profile
    • Salt and Pepper Sets
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 01:47:41 pm »
Even though it's within the family, if I still don't know the price of it, I can't still decide well if whether sell it or not. I'm still confused.