Author Topic: Possibly a Shaker Doll  (Read 4585 times)

floydianoise

• View Profile
Possibly a Shaker Doll
« on: August 18, 2010, 10:59:50 pm »
I will shortly be inheriting what I am told is a doll made by the Shakers.  I'll post pics as soon as I have it in my hands.  Any good lnks to Shaker Doll sites so I can start looking for something similar?  Maybe that isn't possible?  It has a red dress, I know that for starters.  I know, not much to go on.  Anyone have pictures of other Shaker dolls?

floydianoise

• View Profile
Re: Possibly a Shaker Doll
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 11:19:35 pm »
Did Shakers even make dolls?  What did they look like?

floydianoise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 11:31:38 pm »
It looks a lot like this one I found picture of as far as age, condition, style (although mine may be in better condition as I remember it).

floydianoise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 08:26:20 pm »
So I looked at the doll again tonight.  It is in pretty good shape.  No nicks or anything in the porcelain (would it be porcelain?).  The bottom of the dress/undergarmet is slightly stained but again, good shape.  Is there any way to date this doll?  I can't really take pictures yet as it is not in my possession and it also depends on if my Dad or sister have an interest in it.  It was my Grandfather's and then my Aunt's, sadly, both of whom have passed.  Not to be greedy, but am certainly showing my own interest.  Should have some other artifacts for folks to check out when we finish cleaning out the estate.  Just more of the story I guess. . . no responses from you people yet. . . why is that?  Is it the lack of photos?

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 08:36:08 pm »
Sorry about no responses floydianoise!
Sometimes people aren't experienced on the item so they figure they will allow someone with more experience to give it a go. Sometimes they read it, tell themselves they've gotta go research it and then get lost along the way lol.
Or, sometimes they wait for the pics to come when the person actually has the item in hand. Promise, we didn't forget ya! I have no experience with dolls, hopefully someone around here does!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:37:40 pm by hosman321 »

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 09:05:30 pm »
I have no experience with dolls either but I was waiting for pics so I could see what a Shaker doll looked like.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 10:29:06 pm »
OK, came across this. I don't know if it will be any help but they sound like a good place for some answers.
Fourth event listed, Shaker Doll Club with contact info....

http://www.az-ps.com/dollshowusa/Events-NY.htm

Will keep checking around for you ;)

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 10:37:51 pm »
Apparently the Shaker Doll Club is a member of the United Federation of Doll Clubs.  This may be another avenue to find out more info about your doll.

Here is their membership page which explains a bit about them and how to contact a local Regional director who may be able to steer you towards those with expert answers.

http://www.ufdc.org/membership.htm

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 10:45:17 pm »
BTW, the UFDC has a Forum. Currently down for 'maintenance', it's another place for answers. You'll find it listed on the left of the page in the last link I posted.  ;)

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 10:59:01 pm »
Another forum link, with instructions on how to describe your doll in order to get the best possible help and answers.......

http://www.dollreference.com/questions_forum.html

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 09:46:07 am »
Welcome floydianoise!  Waiting on pics!  I personally can't give an opinion without seeing YOURS.  Condition, style, type, etc...

For all you know we could tell you that you have a doll that isn't worth much and it could be an extremely rare doll that is worth mega bucks.  Or the opposite.  All dolls are not created equal.  In addition, your doll may not be the style/type that you think it is and there may be new and exciting information that you don't know.

I think sapphire gave you some wonderful resources to search out information on your own.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 10:23:04 am »
Take a look at the back of the head, just above the neck. You very likely will see some makers marks there in the porcelain. You may have to lift up the wig a little bit to see them. That will tell us a lot about the age and value. Also what is the body made of? Some were made of jointed wood, or stuffed kid (baby goat skin) or stuffed cloth. Later ones sometimes had composition bodies. Also take a look at the wig and see if it appears to be human hair (should be silky) or mohair (made from goat hair) which has more of a non-human feel to it and tends to be more fluffy or frizzy.
Antiqueaholic in recovery