Author Topic: Old Magazine Ads  (Read 2820 times)

DizE

• View Profile
Old Magazine Ads
« on: August 19, 2010, 08:41:32 pm »
Has anyone had luck selling these on ebay?
Just bought tons of magazines from an auction with ads in them, I see the ads going for 5.99 to 9.99, but was wondering if ppl actually buy them since I see 0 bids on most.

waywardangler

Re: Old Magazine Ads
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 09:10:14 pm »
I do not know if they sell either.  I have seen dealers years before the internet selling separate magazine ads and don't know how they did either.  I usually find a reading copy of a magazine I am interested in for the same price they want for one ad.  There is alot of good info in those ads.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 10:16:52 am »
Framed, matted and ready to hang, if it were a particularly attractive retro ad it seems sellable. It's probably one of those things that has to wait for a buy looking for train theme, car theme, wine theme etc. It would probably help to list it with "car wall art" in the subject line.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 05:38:37 pm »
Agree with tales. I think they'd sell if they were pre-1940's. Anything after that usually doesn't sell. If it does, it's for $.99 or it's a cool car ad. And even the car ads need to be really eye-catching with a really cool picture and not a lot of text. Those only go for $3-$4. 1920's stuff is pretty hot.

People also like to buy ads for antiques that they own. I have only bought one magazine ad and it's for a 1930's street sign I have. I also bought an 1870's newspaper with Thomas Edison and his new phonograph. So, if you have any that mentions popular antiques, they might sell. I actually spent $10 on the street sign one, so if you find a sucker like me you might actually make some decent money. :P
Also, anything WWII or Vietnam War would probably sell. If it has a cool slogan or cool graphics and says the word "war." Might get $10 or more for those.

I personally thinks it's really sad when magazines get parted out. I'd try to sell them as one piece but mention the ads that are in each magazine and show the coolest ads. Cause once they all get parted out, they can't be put back together again. I imagine people years from now trying to collect 100 year old magazines. I think they'd be pretty ticked off if half of it was gone. Imagine being so excited right now to find a 1905 Sears and Roebuck catalog and then opening it and all of the best parts are gone. :(
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 05:45:40 pm by hosman321 »

DizE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 03:54:18 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. I think I am going to cut some ads out of a couple magazines and try to sell some whole also, have to try before I know whats best.
 I did manage to sell 6 magazine ads at a flea market though. 2 for $1