Author Topic: Any idea what type of armoire I have here?  (Read 2134 times)

a_gunslinger

• View Profile
Any idea what type of armoire I have here?
« on: August 22, 2010, 12:09:35 pm »
We have an armoire from early 1900's (my grantmothers mother's).  Im embarrased to say that after many moves with it and exposure to (gulp) children its been a bit messed up.  Right door came off hnges but we still have it and the hardware.  Any ideas of type, value to restore, etc?  I could not find any markings on it.  Only sure it was around before my grandmother was born in 1913.  I want to try and get it to some one who can revive it or at lest make good use of it.  Thank you.

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Any idea what type of armoire I have here?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 03:13:52 am »
I'm dubious as to whether it is as old as you say it is.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 05:07:59 am »
Gunslinger,
It looks a bit more modern to me, maybe late 1920's-1930's? But maybe cogar and I are wrong. Don't worry about the damage, it can be refinished. But refinishing something that big will probably cost about as much as it is worth. If you plan to sell it in that condition, it's probably worth $100-$150 in my area. If you get it restored and refinished for about $150-$200, it'll be worth around $300-$350. At least that's the value in my neck of the woods (Washington State). Are the wheels wooden?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 09:00:55 am »
From style...I would say it was around 1920 myself!

Agree with hosman's information as well.

A beautiful piece and would look terrific restored!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

a_gunslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 09:46:50 am »
Thanks everyone.  Im prone to believe you guys the experts.  My grandmother just always called it "here mother's".  It does have wooden wheels as well.  Im glad to hear its restorable.  I would like to get it into the hands of someone who could use and enjoy it.  Thanks for all the info!

JCDaily

• View Profile
    • Stalking the Belle Epoque
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 03:09:10 pm »
It's definitely mid-1920's if not a little later.  Still, it is an attractive piece of furniture.  Fixing it up shouldn't be too difficult.  It depends on how far you want to go with it.  Sometimes, it's better to let a piece tell it's story than to go to a huge expense to overhaul it.
Follow me at http://stalkingthebelleepoque.blogspot.com to join me on my journey through the world of antiques, art, film, literature and cuisine as I search for all things gracious, grand and glorious.