Poll

never seen one like this any help???

wiegand1973@yahoo.com
0 (0%)
what else
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: crazy chest  (Read 5264 times)

bwiegand

• View Profile
Re: crazy chest
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 09:16:03 pm »
The other two pics

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 10:24:51 am »
I'm sorry about your mother's passing last month.  :-[
In this picture, the screw on the left has a slot that looks really off center. Anybody else think so? Doesn't that mean it is more likely hand made (older than 1920's) rather than machine made? Or just an off-center machine made screw? Gotta zoom in.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 10:27:20 am by hosman321 »

waywardangler

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 11:38:12 am »
Looking at that pic, the whole case looks fairly crude and handmade (not necessarily a bad thing) or rather folky.  The carving shows many rough cuts, the edge of the board shows circular saw marks where it was ripped, and the top boards also have some maker? gouges and rough edges.  No top notch cabinet maker would put an exposed screw there (off center slot or not) nor would he (or she) leave rough sawn edges or rough carvings.  I am thinking this was made by a local craftsman in whatever country it came from.  Date wise it could be earlier than 1920 but probably not earlier than 1890-1900?

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 11:42:22 am »
All the same things I was thinking wayward. Especially with the paint drips on the inside, a mass producer or company probably would not let that slide. In my opinion, the fact that it may be home made rather than by a company just makes it more special. The things that are being pointed out do not mean it's sloppy or not well made, just made with a bit more love. :)
I am casting my vote at about 1900. But i'm far from an expert. :P
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 11:51:31 am by hosman321 »

waywardangler

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 11:49:29 am »
I agree, hosman.  I love folk art and this is what this piece may be.  I bet, in person, it has an absolutely wonderful surface .  That patina does not come through in pictures.  And if those decorations are all handpainted, that just makes it even better in my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 12:21:17 pm by waywardangler »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 12:20:02 pm »
Also, I don't know if you're looking for a monetary value but in my neck of the woods (Washington State) it would probably be snatched up in a heartbeat for $700.00. Who knows though, maybe more. Folk art is HOT and something that big and beautiful doesn't show up every day. Depends on where you are though, things like this may be more common in other parts of the US. Location makes a huge difference in antique values. One thing's for sure, don't paint it or refinish it at all! Once it's done, it can never be reversed. If you really, really want it touched up in places, have a professional restorer do the touch ups.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 12:22:01 pm by hosman321 »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 06:49:59 am »
In my opinion that is a circa 19th century commode that someone decided to “pretty up”  post 1900, say about 1920 or 1930+, by painting all those designs and pictures on it.

It wouldn’t surprise me any if the artist’s initials or name is not “hidden” somewhere in his work.

Here is a Louis XV Commode via Google.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 08:12:57 am »
Great point Cogar! I was going to say that in my last post (really, I was!) but I thought it sounded like a stupid idea.

waywardangler

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 09:50:54 am »
To quote Forrest Gump "Stupid is as stupid does."  However hosman and cogar, we do not think either of you is stupid nor have we seen any stupid ideas from you (yet).  ;)  Post on with any ideas because they may hit the bullseye and be an "Aha!" moment.  In fact, I do not really like the word stupid except when I do something really dumb when I know better.  There should be one of those Staples buttons for the workshop that goes "That was stupid".  ;D  [So I just found out for $8, I can have one of those buttons in the workshop that says "That was stupid" http://www.stupidbuttons.com/stupid-button.html  ]

I know I went Aha! when cogar posted it was a gussied up commode.  Great observation cogar!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:56:40 am by waywardangler »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 05:19:25 am »
Great point Cogar! I was going to say that in my last post (really, I was!) but I thought it sounded like a stupid idea.

I believe ya, and was surprised when you didn't ..... after you stated "Especially with the paint drips on the inside".

Dripping paint on a rim, edge or the backside is a pretty reliable clue that it was painted or repainted and the painter didn't think to or forgot to "wipe it off" before it dried.

Most people forget that it takes a while for paint, varnish, etc. to dry and even though it looks OK after you first apply it, ..... gravity will cause it to "flow down" creating those faint "ripples" and/or big "drippies". 

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 11:11:38 am »
I'm quite curious about the cord that has been 'installed' in your cabinet .

Sometimes folks would fabricate a hidden un-locking mechanism/latch to keep kids/stranges/servants out of liquor/gun etc. cabinets ; also would use strings/levers for 'parlor tricks' with bells/musical boxes, etc .

There may be evidence of 'rings' from bottles , or signs that a latching/locking device component(s) were once mounted inside of your cabinet .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2010, 12:09:32 pm »
As Artie Johnson would say......"Very Intersting"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IHAZeqwQvA&feature=related

The even made a record  Arte/Ruth (She lives near me and still looks fabulous!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlm4O_ltgtk

OOPS  HIJACK!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!