Author Topic: Shaker Doll with Pics  (Read 5760 times)

floydianoise

• View Profile
Shaker Doll with Pics
« on: August 23, 2010, 08:31:34 pm »
Okay, so only two pics for now.  That's all my Dad took.  Definitely need more.  My grandfather was an antique dealer and I have been told that it's Shaker.  There's some kind of Shaker Doll event that I may go to in October for more info.  Can anyone tell me how old it might be or its monetary value?  What other kinds of pictures might you need in order to do that?  I don't plan on getting rid of it, but. . .   

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Shaker Doll with Pics
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 08:51:50 pm »
Beautiful face!  floydianoise, I think talesofthesevenseas gave some great advice on where/what to look for that will help greatly with identification.  It would be the same info the collectors group would also need to help you.

Last post in your earlier thread......

http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=7328.0

floydianoise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 09:01:10 pm »
Thanks. . . I hadn't revisited my old post.  My Dad had it right now so I'll ask him to look.

floydianoise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 09:08:18 pm »
I've contacted the show organizer and also linked this thread.  We'll see if I get a response. . .

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 12:21:58 am »
Looks like Little Red Riding Hood to me!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 12:39:50 am »
Great looking doll! Looks like she is in great shape, I am curious to find out how old she is. I hope that place emails you or you are able to go to that Shaker event. Just to let you know, I believe the pictures on this forum can only be viewed by members. So, if you sent a link to this page then they won't be able to view your pictures. Just a heads up so you can email them pics.

I am curious to know what her body is made of. As soon as your dad has time, it'd be great to *ahem*...see under her dress. Boy that sounds strange...
But it would help with giving a monetary value/age to know what condition her body is in and what materials were used in making her.

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 06:49:29 am »
Hosman, your comment pops the lyrics from Dave Matthews' "Crash Into Me" into my head (don't know why?)...
Hike up your skirt a little more
And show your world to me
In a boys dream.. In a boys dream

Anyway, I am with KC on this, the doll really does look like Little Red Riding Hood!  To quote Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs..."Hey there, Little Red Riding Hood, You sure are lookin' good..."

I no nothing about dolls but searching for info, this red caped doll face looks awfully like an Armand Marseille doll face (some history http://www.antique67.com/articles.php?article=89)  A collage of Marseille doll faces with the red caped doll...

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 07:21:11 am »
It does look a lot like a Marseille doll, but I think the eyebrows on this one are throwing me off. They are super thick and dark, don't see many like that in my searches.
This one looks pretty darn close.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohwarren/Shaker/doll.htm  scroll down a bit.
Blue eyes and thick brows. The outfit and hood look really similar in construction. Especially that flax-looking netting part. I dunno, I don't know dolls at all!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:32:35 am by hosman321 »

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 08:12:30 am »
I agree hosman.  There were different makers that made 'Shaker' dolls with bisque heads.  http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-alma-bisque-head-german-doll-66042558  has an 'Alma' marked doll.  The 'Alma' doll has thick eyebrows.

http://www.willishenry.com/shaker/shaker2007/shaker_07_listing.htm  has a Kestner and another one pictured.

I think this doll with the red cape may be dressed like a Shaker would be but this was not made by the Shakers.  I am not an expert on Shakers but I have never read anything that said they made bisque head dolls.  Shakers were more about simplicity and function as part of their religion.  I would think a Shaker made doll head would be simpler and probably wood or cloth.  Maybe this was addressed earlier and I missed it.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 10:27:45 pm »
Agree with wayward's last paragraph. Something isn't setting.......can't put my finger on it.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

floydianoise

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 10:18:44 am »
So, the back of the shoulder of the doll is marked Alma-126.  Thanks for all of the investigation.  I am posting a clock next.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:09:57 am by hosman321 »

floydianoise

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 11:10:28 am »
Any idea of the worth or age of this particular model?  A couple hundred bucks if its the real deal?early 1900's I'm guessing. . .   

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 11:13:14 am »
I can't seem to find the 126 doll. Prices are all over the place for the others from $400-$1,000. We'll keep searchin' to see if we can find the exact one. You never know, yours could be much more rare than the others. I'm searchin' for your clock right now. :)

floydianoise

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 11:18:15 am »
Sweet.  Thanks.  ;)