Author Topic: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFYING THIS  (Read 4670 times)

angelbrotherston

• View Profile
PLEASE HELP IDENTIFYING THIS
« on: August 24, 2010, 11:34:13 am »
Hi, yes, I am a newbie to this forum and to antiques, so please forgive my apparent lack of knowledge on this issue.  
My husband purchased this table at Goodwill and I am having a heck of a time finding any information as to it's origin, make etc.,
The only thing I do know is it's aprox 2 1/2 ft. Tall 2 ft across.  The flowers are raised and lumpy when you run your hand across them but don't appear to be painted on.  There are no markings anywhere that I can see.  What has piqued my interest other than general knowledge on the item is the fact that a gentleman followed my husband out to his vehicle after purchasing this table and offered to buy it from him on the spot.  Any information will be greatly appreciated... Thanks so much,  Angel
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:57:17 am by angelbrotherston »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE HELP IDENTIFYING THIS
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 10:23:21 pm »
Appears to me to be tole painting on a mid 1900's table.

NIce looking piece!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

angelbrotherston

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 03:24:10 am »
Thanks KC,  would you happen to know the proper name for the foot/leg design on this table? 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 03:28:21 am »
Queen Anne leg

NastyNate

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 11:19:52 am »
Exquisite piece. I have been followed by people numerous times at garage sales and flea markets. Recently one guy started to try and out bid me at a garage sale. Thankfully the guy who was selling it wanted no part in it. If you dont mind me asking how much did you pay?

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 08:53:06 pm »
Angel I think there is an artist's name on there!  Bear with me, gonna try to bring it up  ;)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 08:54:55 pm »
Shoot, can't see it there!!  If you go back up to your own picture (which I reversed) click on it, then zoom in on that blue flower......better yet.......you've got the real deal right there. Pretty sure there's a Katherine ( ? ) something or other along the edge of that flower  ;)

Edited to add......turned my laptop upside down and it looks like Katherine Merick  ::)

Oops, think that might be Norick !
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:07:52 pm by sapphire »

angelbrotherston

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 09:45:50 pm »
Hey there, Saphire, wow, thanks so much!  I would of never seen the signature, ever.  It's actually Katherine Henick.  I found some info on her (below) that I wanted to share.  How in the world did you notice the signature??  Well, way to go anyways....  and Nasty Nane, my husband paid $8.99 for it at Goodwill.  What a find huh?  Much appreciation and Have a Lovely Weekend....

Katherine Henick and her husband emigrated from Romania and started their own furniture business in Boston -- he made the furniture and she decoratively painted it and signed only her finest pieces. Henick furniture comes on the secondary market from time to time and is considered to be quite collectible.

NastyNate

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 10:39:38 pm »
Angel I think there is an artist's name on there!  Bear with me, gonna try to bring it up  ;)

I just looked at the original post and can't believe I missed that as well. I opened it a few times and even zoomed in... nice catch!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 08:03:57 am »
I've been looking her up, is she still alive? I keep reading that her husband passed away at 88 but nothing about her. Plus, they are still in business, so I'm assuming she's still around. ???
She'd be about 100 though, they started making furniture in the 30's!
By the way, you're amazing Sapphire!

KATHERINE HENICK FURNITURE 22 ELKINS ST (617)-268-2494
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:07:12 am by hosman321 »

angelbrotherston

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 01:51:57 am »
Hosman321, Katherine passed away at 93 yrs old in 1993.  She was actually 5 yrs older than her husband Ozias "O.J." who passed away 6 months after his wife.  There is still a furniture shop in Boston that is currently operating but at the time of their deaths they lived in Hollywood Fl.  I am not sure who owns/runs the business. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 07:49:55 pm »
Their pieces are nicely done.  Great/affordable for people who like that style.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!