Author Topic: Bakelite (Revised with picture)  (Read 2113 times)

happyclam

• View Profile
Bakelite (Revised with picture)
« on: August 25, 2010, 06:57:31 am »
Has anyone seen a piece of bakelite like this? It passes the 409 and hot water smell test but I cannot find anything online with the exception of a multi colored one that has the groove for clasp (on the left) going in the other direction that looks like it. Thanks for any info.

I don't see the picture in preview hopefully it works when I post.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:42:26 pm by happyclam »

happyclam

• View Profile
Re: Bakelite
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 06:58:25 am »
Sorry...need to get picture working

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 10:44:38 am »
The picture isn't here! Please repost.

Instructions on how to post one are under antiques > Antique Questions Forum >  Top of Page Sticky #2   Photo's are important! (info on loading pictures)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

happyclam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 01:39:12 pm »
Sorry folks! I read the info about posting pictures but the photo attachment option not working for me and Photo Bucket was down for maintenance earlier. The bracelet is "plastic" not wood, I did see a wood and bakelite version in a book but this has no wood. Like I said it has the funky smell under hot water and the Q tip turned yellow with 409. Cant find any info online about it. Thanks!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Bakelite (Revised with picture)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 01:48:23 pm »
Found one of similar style happyclam, made of clear and opaque bakelite....

http://www.graysantiques.com/antiqueDetail.php?antique=8942

Unfortunately, little info on it. But if there's one, there's liable to be more. ;)

happyclam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 06:05:34 pm »
Thanks sapphire! Anyone else who may know anything about this please pass on the info. It might be fakelite rather than Bakelite  :-\

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 10:35:46 pm »
Take a look see at these....http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&q=vintage+bakelite+link+bracelets&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=LOx1TKbKEMP98AapwKjSBg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=image&resnum=3&ved=0CCsQzAMwAg

These ladies have a very good business going.......good information on here about history of Bakelite for jewelry and their site on Ruby Lane has a huge assortment!
http://www.home-jewelry-business-success-tips.com/bakelite-jewelry.html
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 07:04:50 am »
happyclam, one can find bakelite pieces in just about any color, shape or description. Costume jewelry, napkin rings, political items, etc., etc. ...... and all use to be highly collectible and probably still are.

I use to luv it whenever I would find a piece of bakelight at a garage sale priced at a dime or a quarter. ;D ;D 

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 08:59:43 am »
Happyclam KC's first link from his post is great and as you can see this style bracelet was made in Bakelite & other plastics and you can also see the price difference. I have delt in bakelite for over 20 years & have found one sure test, many plastics smell funky under hot water & if the piece has never been cleaned it will produce a yellow Q-tip with 409. I use only one test to find true bakelite , Simichrome Polishing paste. It is a metal polish that will not damage bakelite or other plastics it is light pink in color,when placed on a WHITE cloth & rubbed on your piece if it is  bakelite it will turn a very yellowish brown color like a tobacco stain if it remains pink it is another form of plastic. I have several books on plastic & bakelite jewelery & will search to see if I can find your piece but testing with simichrome will tell you if it is truly Bakelite.
good luck ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 01:15:05 pm »
Hey Wendy, forgot about semichrome - brain hiccup!

Just so happy clam can have an idea that it isn't some brainchild we just came up with.....
http://antiques.about.com/od/bakeliteandplastics/tp/aa041506.htm

happyclam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 05:42:53 am »
THANK YOU one and all for the info/help! I've been looking for Simichrome here in town, can't locate it anywhere so I will order online. Will keep you posted...da..da...D AH!