Author Topic: Help identifiying a box I bought at a swapmeet.  (Read 1428 times)

twangator

• View Profile
Help identifiying a box I bought at a swapmeet.
« on: August 29, 2010, 02:56:03 pm »
Hello I am new here.  I am hoping you can help me out.  I bought this box at a swapmeet and I dont know where it is from or what its for and what do you guys/gals think this might be worth?
I could not find any markings on it but I do see under the lid a piece of masking tape that reads "Christmas gift 1968 from Johnny" Please help.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifiying a box I bought at a swapmeet.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 11:03:51 pm »
The figures appear raised….so is the top made of enameled metal or painted wood?

By-the-way….welcome!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

twangator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 09:31:39 am »
The raised images seem to be enamel. The sides of the box and the frame of the lid are made of rocks or something similar in a mosaic type of art work.  I looked at it under a 10x loupe and it looks like fancy art work.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 06:36:57 pm »
I believe your box is Persian (Present day Iran) and depicts a hunting scene. Similar scenes were very commonly painted onto mother-of-pearl panel bracelets in the 1920's and many of these made their way to the USA post WWII. (I've got one) These are often called "story bracelets". Your box seems to be the same theme.

Here's a couple of typical Persian painted MOP panel bracelets:
http://www.trocadero.com/mctc/items/910873/en1.html

Antiqueaholic in recovery

twangator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 10:27:32 pm »
Thank you all for the info, does anyone have an idea of the $$ value of this item?