Author Topic: Carved Ivory Art Deco Lamp  (Read 3387 times)

MissyL

• View Profile
Carved Ivory Art Deco Lamp
« on: September 01, 2010, 07:34:18 pm »
My mom picked this lamp up about 20 years ago in a small shop in either PA or NY.  The carved elephant screen appears to be ivory (I did some homework on differences between ivory and bone).  According to a friend, the electrical cord gives clues that it's probably from the late 30's (as there is some sort of UL listing on the thumb wheel).  Unfortunately, she passed away recently and I never got to ask her much about this lamp.  There are no distinctive markings on it, except for the lighting fixture which says "made in England".

Please take a peek at the links below which have several pictures of this very unique and pretty lamp:

http://www.myphotos.yahoo.com/s/2184dw2isyajem078ke7

http://www.myphotos.yahoo.com/s/2184dw2isyajetx8nret

Any guesses on its worth?  Comments?

Thanks for looking :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:39:44 pm by MissyL »

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Carved Ivory Art Deco Lamp
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 12:00:17 am »
Welcome to the forum , MissyL .

Nice , rather stylized/whimsical elephant themed item (but maybe the real elephant wasn't feeling so whimsical , when taken from him) .

I'd guess 1920's to 1930's , from only your images , and ivory too .

Since heat & light , esp. in close proximity , will damage your items' ivory , perhaps this one bulb lamp should be more or less kept turned off , since it's on it's way towards being an antique soon-ish .

These normally had a metal sleeve between the light-bulb base & the bakelite base (yours is missing one) .... other than that , it looks complete .

Thanks for posting your cool little item here !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 01:11:41 pm »
I wish it would turn out to be some sort of resin or man-made material.  :-\
Wishful thinkin', eh?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 07:21:34 pm »
Can you read the markings on the switches and light socket?

I am gandering 30's to late 50's.....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

floydianoise

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 10:19:21 pm »
Hosman. . . curious why you would wish it to be man-made in material.  For the sake of the elephant that had to endure the pain or worse?   

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 10:36:13 pm »
Yeah, I find ivory disgusting. I think antique ivory belongs in museums and should not still be bought and sold these days. It shouldn't be destroyed or anything but making money off of that sort of thing makes my stomach turn. People think it's so "exotic" but if they saw the massacre and bloodshed associated with cutting them off a live elephant, I highly doubt they would support it. Just my thoughts...

floydianoise

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 10:41:58 pm »
That was my guess, and in my opinion an ethically-sound one.

gingertomantiques

• View Profile
    • GINGER TOM ANTIQUES
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 05:51:02 am »
needs the hot needle test to be sure, old enough to be legal in UK if ivory but i would suspect resin

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 01:50:42 pm »
Im suspecting bakelite/resin.  It appears from the time period!

I would also try the needle test in an unsuspecting area first....then move on to the bakelite test.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

MissyL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 07:34:51 am »
Thank you all so much for your input and suggestions.

I've done both the hot needle and bakelite tests and it certainly appears that the material is, indeed, ivory. 

The imprint on the light socket reads "Made in England" and there is some printing on the thumbwheel.  It says "GILBERT" on one long side and "Pat.No.2,065,092" on the other.  And on the short sides it says "UND.LAB.6A,125V" and "INC.INSP.3A,250V".  Does this give any clues?

I apologize if I offended anyone in sharing this lamp.  I agree that the practice of harvesting ivory was a barbaric one.  This is simply an item that I acquired through the passing of my mother and I am curious about.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 08:38:16 am »
Missy found this lamp with a jungle motif similar to yours maybe if you contacted them they may be able to give you some insight on your piece. Only one I have found even close to your piece.
Good luck  I will keep searching, keep us updated ;)  http://www.artdecocollection.com/700.htm

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 08:52:20 am »
Don't apologize missy! It's not your fault, I'm pretty sure you weren't even alive in the 20's. :P

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 10:54:04 am »
Didn't offend me!  However, if you "did in" the elephant....I might send you a pie (without a file) in jail!!!!!  :)

It is a piece of history.....which makes it fascinating!!!  We appreciate you sharing!!!!!