Author Topic: Gateleg Table  (Read 11790 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Gateleg Table
« on: September 02, 2010, 09:12:56 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160466072119&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:1123

I'm currently bidding on this table. Been wanting (and needing) a space saving table. But there are no pictures of the underneath, which makes me nervous. Can anybody tell the age from the pictures? If all else fails, I'll just bid on it like it's a new table and will only bid what I would pay for a newer table. But I'd be pretty PO'd if I drive a few hours for a newer/not so old table. Any advice?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:39:46 pm by hosman321 »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Gateleg Table
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 09:24:42 pm »
    Hosman, that link takes me to a yahoo mail error.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 09:39:32 pm »
lol whooops! I fixed it.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 10:52:02 pm »
Have you tried requesting a photo of the table's bottom from the seller?

I would print out the items description so you have some type of documentation that it's being sold as a antique.
 I do like how he words his write ups with "I understand what I sell and I only sell genuine antique items and guarantee them as described" and "A good antique early Georgian oak drop leaf gateleg table circa 1740".
That IMO would leave little doubt in Paypal's eyes, if there was a issue, that it could be interpreted for anything other than what he says it is and although his feedback is far from perfect it seems as most of the negative issues were not regarding a misrepresented item.

I guess the burden of proving it is or is not a antique would be a real pain if there was a issue though and especially if the seller doesn't believe in 100% customer satisfaction.

Photos that would make you comfortable with the transaction would be a plus and if he/she doesn't respond to this I would not bid.JMO & GL

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 11:09:21 pm »
Yeah, I read his feedback before I bid and the complants seem to do more with shipping issues. And it wouldn't be shipped. I emailed and asked for pics of the underneath. If he doesn't send any I'll stop my bidding now. Because that'd be a good deal for a new or vintage gateleg. I'll let ya'll know what happens.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 12:17:26 am »
Response:

Sure I will take some images of the underside, however I might remove the table from sale, the bidding is pathetic I should never started the table at $0.99, this table would be $4,000-$5,000+ in a good antique store! Please feel free to call me with any questions on 503-380-6452. Best regards, Frank

Then I responded:
Dear francisc3634,

I think the lack of underneath pictures are why the bids are so low. For something so old, people (myself included) want to see the construction. Otherwise, people can't tell if it's 18th or 19th century. I hope you'll add the pics to the auction, I think you'll get much better bids. Thanks again!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 03:38:54 am »
Well now, it might be Georgian ....... but I don't think it is made of oak.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 09:20:09 am »
It looks Georgian in style….are there drawers?  I really like this article and the part 'Buying Antique Drop Leaf Table" mid way down….it might help you with your decision to keep bidding.
http://hubpages.com/hub/Buy-A-Drop-Leaf-Dining-Table

i would really be hesitant if the seller won't post pics of the underside/construction.  With that many sales…they would know that the underside/construction is needed for serious buyers!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

floydianoise

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 10:14:38 pm »
For someone who claims that the table is circa 1740, they haven't gone out of their way to prove it, so far.  I think they should.  I also wonder how they might be able to take it out of auction unless they reserved the right to do so when the auction began.  Just like a bid binds you as a contract, I believe that putting something up for auction does the same.  I also think that unless they have a reserve price that is not met, an eBay seller HAS to follow through with selling the item.  It's certainly not the fault of those bidding if the seller is not getting the $4,000 or $5,000 they had been hoping for.  I have no idea if it's worth that much but it would be nice if you won, could turn around and sell it for a bunch of dough and get yourself exactly what you want, plus make a substantial profit.  It's all part of the game.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 10:30:50 pm »
I agree! But I read the rules and he has up until 12 hours before the auction ends to remove the item without penalty. That's crazy to me and very frustrating. Why in the world did he start it at $.99? He sent me another email and was fairly rude, saying he spends more than the bid on the wine he drinks every night. So, I quit bidding. He keeps telling me he'll email pics of the underneath but hasn't. I bought a different antique table today that I like but it's not exactly what I wanted. Ebay is so frustrating, I think a bid should be a binding contract for both ends. In an auction house, these things would not happen.

floydianoise

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 10:35:20 pm »
Craziness.  What's the point of an auction if the seller can just retract within 12 hours of the item being sold?  Someone can just get nervous that their auction isn't going so well for them, grab his/her crap and run the other way without looking back?  Nothing like the virtual world of eBay!  (That's not to say that I haven't spent many a day and dollar in that world!)

waywardangler

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 10:47:50 pm »
Hosman, are you saying eBay allows any seller to pull their item if it is 12 hours before the auction's end?  I was not aware of this.  I will have to go through the rules again and read them closely.  However, most bids come in at the last second even though the item just sits there for 6+ days.  People love to snipe or not show their hand.  A seller would be crazy to pull an item.  Of course, a seller would also have to be crazy to start a $4000+ (?) table at 99c too with no reserve.  What is he thinking?  A reserve would protect him but also deter bidders.

floydianoise

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 11:12:27 pm »
Well put Mr. Wayward. . .

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 11:37:26 pm »
It's very frustrating wayward but here's the rules. GRRRR!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/end_early.html
If there are 12 hours or more, he can cancel the bids. If there are less than 12 hours, he must sell it to the highest bidder.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:42:25 pm by hosman321 »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 08:35:43 am »
Hell hath no fury like a consignee who is not getting the "bids" he was figuring on getting.