Author Topic: Some Old Keys  (Read 2456 times)

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
Some Old Keys
« on: September 03, 2010, 07:44:34 pm »
Continuing the excavation of stuff from my deceased FIL's collection: 

We found these keys rusted into a mass.  After a week or two in a white vinegar bath, we could at least pull them apart.  Some of them are so interestingly shaped, and I was wondering if anybody has any idea what they might go to?

Only a few have markings.  The fourth one down from the left is to a Ford, and has the number 56 on the back.  The second one down on the right is a Yale.  A few have markings I can't yet read, which leads to my next question -- what more can I do to clean them up?  I've got some other old keys (bright and shiny!) that I've tossed into an old canning jar and I just display it on my bookshelf. 

Thanks for any information you can provide!

waywardangler

Re: Some Old Keys
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 07:53:09 pm »
Those flat keys with notches out of each side, I think are for old lockers if they have numbers stamped on them.  I keep a bunch of old keys around in hopes they may work on old locks I get.  Padlocks, trunk locks, or whatever locks.  Old car keys, unless they are elaborate or unusual in design, are virtually worthless.  People use skeleton keys on necklaces and seem to get a decent price for them.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 08:29:54 am »
what more can I do to clean them up?

CC, I would suggest the use of a wire brush.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 11:28:18 am »
Agree with KC. Baking soda, vinegar and a wire brush. At least that's what I use on iron.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 12:23:38 pm »
     That don't Sound Pleasant at all  :o   ;D     I have not a clue about keys, but when I first saw them I thought how great they would look displayed on the wall, I personnally would not clean them too much, Pretty cool as is.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 02:03:26 pm »
Ironlord, haven't you ever made a volcano?  Filled with baking soda(I also add red food coloring) then added vinegar?  I still love doing that.....only lately that is how I clean my sink drain (without the red or orange dye tho!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 02:05:21 pm »
I always mix the two and I never get any cool explosions.  :-[
I'm fairly positive that you're never supposed to mix bleach and vinegar though, so don't do that.

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 04:29:59 pm »
Fire in the hole!

ThisNThat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 05:21:54 pm »
The Ford one is for a Model T. I'm possitive, because my husband owns a 1925 Model T, and he said that the number on it corresponds with the ignition switch number. That's all I can help you with, sorry!

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 06:49:06 pm »
All great information.  Thanks everyone!  Glad to know about the Model T key -- will ask around the family and see if one of the ancestors had one. 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 05:33:37 am »
CC, I forgot to mention that the keys with the round, hollow shank are typical of pre-1940  cabinets, desks & chest locks for the drawers, lids and doors.

I still have a whole bunch of them saved up because when one buys a piece of said furniture the key is usually always missing and its good to have a replacement one when ya go to sell it.

Here, check these out;

http://www.hardwareofthepast.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=fhdLocksKeys