Author Topic: Hand-held peep show  (Read 3340 times)

kerrysuz

• View Profile
Hand-held peep show
« on: September 05, 2010, 08:26:13 am »
We are cleaning out my parents' house and found this little hand-held peep show, likely from Boston, Scolley Square era (as my dad tended to go there when he was young). That said, he would have bought it at any time...haha. Anyway, you hold it up to a light (the light must enter from the side), you focus using the viewfinders at the front, and you spin the wheel to see six lovely ladies, topless, in very clean poses. The photos look to be in color. Any idea if this is worth anything?

It's about 2 inches by 1 inch. I have attached an admittedly bad picture from my phone (of the device, not of the ladies).

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Hand-held peep show
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 08:42:39 am »
Wow Pre-internet #%**^,   I would place it in the 70's just by seeing the pic.  Now if I could peep at the ladies, maybe I could find a clue or two  ;)   I bet the pics inside would for sure date it.  As for value, well I never even search this kind of thing yet, and with today search engines, I bet if I google the word peep show, I would get something other then value to search though  :o .  Anyway I would not put much value on it personnally, a few bucks on ebay, but hang on to it a few years and you may have a really cool vintage item. 

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 09:11:37 am »
kerrysuz cool little item any markings or pattern #s ??? found this one on ebay  http://cgi.ebay.com/QT-viewer-hand-held-nudie-picture-show-/320585058799?pt=art_photo_images&hash=item4aa45bc9ef  looks like it  could be made of bakelite.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 09:16:35 am »
By the hairstyles in their pics, looks to be about late 1940's-1950's like they said. I think that's how old the huge one was on Pawn Stars a few weeks back, too.
Are you able to scan (or take pictures of) your pictures? Then just cut out or edit out the girlie part. Family friendly around here :P
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 09:24:01 am by hosman321 »

kerrysuz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 09:48:03 am »
That ebay link is FABULOUS. That is EXACTLY the item, although the photos are slightly different. I have no idea how the seller took the pictures...I could not do that, but they are exactly the same "type" of picture, same era. Thank you so much for finding that link. Now I will keep watch to see if it sells, but at least I know what to search for. I tried looking last night on ebay but everything I typed in brought up no results.

Thanks again!!!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 10:12:06 am »
   Wow so much for my guess  ;D    Much earlier for sure, thought they were innocent before the 60's  ;D   Pretty cool.  I could take a guess at how they got the pics of the pics.  That would require a DSLR, Great Lighting and a Macro Lens.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 10:55:28 am »
This type of item was very popular in the late 30's to early 60's!  Betting your was more likely the late 40's
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 01:00:14 am »
So, how many times have you looked at the pictures, kerrysuz?  ;D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 09:46:31 am »
This type of item was very popular in the late 30's to early 60's!  Betting your was more likely the late 40's

That's what I was thinking, 30's, early 40's, ...... and I also think it should be subjected to a Bakelite Test.

For some reason the color of it makes me think it just might be Bakelite, which should increase the value of it.  Or at the least it would appeal to two different groups of collectors who would be bidding against each other for ownership of it. And that makes for a "win-win" for the seller. ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 04:36:47 pm »
And the two different groups are?

I was thinking more than two….bakelite lovers, toys/viewer collectors, Peep Show collectors (who also collect Stanhopes)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 04:58:08 am »
I was thinking Bakelite collectors and Erotica collectors.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 09:34:25 am »
Very true....that even expands those who might be interested!