Author Topic: Shipping cost question (ironlord !!)  (Read 5808 times)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Shipping cost question (ironlord !!)
« on: September 05, 2010, 05:31:30 pm »
OK ironlord, I'm looking at something on ebay from around your area .....I think.  Location only given as Pacific Northwest, so I'm figuring Washington.  There's a set of four drawer knobs, glass and copper.  They are stating $21.75 for Priority Int'l and I sent a message asking if there are any other options. The reply stated they could ship it First Class Int'l.....they 'believe'. I sent another message asking them if they knew what the cost would be.  Do you have any idea, taking in to account packaging size and weight, if that would be possible and what a reasonable cost would run? I

I realize that ebay has some sort of 'control' over the shipping options, just not sure what and how much.  I really don't feel that $20+ could be considered reasonable when the item(s) size is so small, and am wondering just how much difference the rate change would make and if they have any control over changing as they used the Priority Int'l as their method of shipping.

Quite open to answers from others as well........ ;)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 05:33:35 pm by sapphire »

waywardangler

Re: Shipping cost question (ironlord !!)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 08:17:28 pm »
If the knobs and packaging are under 4 lbs., it can be mailed as a small packet? or small parcel? (I think that is what it is called) to Canada.  Rates are much cheaper than the Int'l Priority rate that was quoted to you.  It is a First Class Airmail rate and not a parcel post rate. I am going by memory as I retired from the USPS over a year ago after 31+ years working there and I am trying to forget all of it.

I just went on the USPS web site and it looks like they changed some nomenclature.  A 4 lb. First Class Mail package would be about $16 while a 2 lb. one would be about $10.  The Int'L Priority small flate rate box may be a better option if between 3-4 lbs. but I do not know what size that box is.

I do not like the USPS site because everytime you go back to drop in a different weight or pick a diff. option it defaults to the first country on the list (Arab something). The hardcopy IMM (International Mail Manual) was much more familiar to me.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 08:27:56 pm by waywardangler »

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 09:13:57 pm »
Thanks for the info wayward. I was figuring (by looking at the site) that it 'should' be around $10 for the small packet.  It weighs 1 lb, so can't see myself paying $20+ to have them shipped.  Another case of shipping costing 3-4 times the price of an item.

Only 26 min left and still no response. Will let it go unless they get back to me. No other bids, so maybe they'll relist.  ;)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230518580964&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1149

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 09:24:39 pm »
If they are about a pound like they say then it should cost about 5 bucks to ship.  Few minutes left want me to bid and send them to you for cheaper?

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 09:28:13 pm »
How the hell could you do that??

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 09:29:34 pm »
I can get them for $4.90 shipping added to the $8.00 and I can ship them to you for the cost of First class Int.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 09:31:13 pm »
You'd do that?? Could I pay you through your site?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 09:31:51 pm »
Not sure but we can work it out if you want them

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 09:32:35 pm »
That would be awesome!! Are you anywhere near Blaine or however you spell it?

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 09:34:49 pm »
OMG! you're in there!   :D

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 09:36:09 pm »
Yea I will give you a fair shipping charge.   

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 09:38:38 pm »
My daughter heads to Blaine every once in a while to pick up stuff she orders online. I think she said there's some sort of postal outlet that a lot of Canadians use for that. Would that be any easier for you to ship?

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 09:40:43 pm »
Whoot!! ironlord is now the proud interim owner of a set of vintage looking drawer knobs!!.

You have no idea how thankful I am!!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 10:01:41 pm »
  Wow that was a thrill.  I can mostly do this because I get cheap shipping through work, actually don't let the secret out but usually free.  If they ship on time I should have them in a few days, then we can work out the details.   If you know about a postal outlet that would make it cheaper or easier that would be great too.  But the looks of it the cost is around $5.00 for 1 lb.  but I got that covered.  Basically you get it at my cost, Forum family kind of thing.  $12.90 is what I just paid, lets say $13.00 and they are yours ;)  As for payment you could just use my paypal account, under ironlord1963@yahoo.com  I think, not sure about the details but I know Hosman can maybe help us out there.  But wait to pay, I want to make sure they are in good condition and etc. first.  Glad to help. 

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 10:02:01 pm »
You'll absolutely choke when you find out why I'm getting them  :D

Was up for a long overdue visit to my best friend's parent's home, where she has looking after her dad, her mother just being moved from hospital to a nursing home.  I basically grew up in their home as a kid/teenager.  Well dear old dad had this chest of drawers that was in his grandparents home when he was a little boy (he's now 86).  It had been moved from the laundry room, to the wood room, to the garage and was in his way again.  So it was about to meet the sledge hammer and be added to the wood pile.  His daughter informed him I would kill him on sight if I knew he'd done that......so at the end of the visit guess what got showed in the back of my Jeep??

The original knobs were lost when another relative painted  >:( it, so replacement wooden ones adorn it now.

I started hunting for something more appropriate.......f or after it joins the line up of things waiting to be stripped, filled, refitted and rehomed.

Don't even have a picture yet.......it's still in the Jeep. Too tired after work and then dealing with Hurricane Earl's approach to get it moved. Glad it was still in there yesterday, my vehicle was swaying back and forth in the parking lot at work and likely would have ended up crushing the little car beside me if it hadn't been weighted down by the chest.

It's four drawers (3 plain, 1 with a 'wave' type face) with a smaller section on top that hold two more drawers.....thus the need (no, desire) for four attractive pulls and hopefully a full set of metal ones for the large drawers.