Author Topic: OCCUPIED JAPAN: UNUSUAL COVERED DISH  (Read 1610 times)

FancyIdeas

• View Profile
OCCUPIED JAPAN: UNUSUAL COVERED DISH
« on: September 06, 2010, 02:06:51 pm »
Hello!  In going through my Mother's home for an estate sale, I found some china/porcelain pieces that she had purchased ?60? years ago - plain white, so she could paint her own designs on the china.  There is a piece marked "Made in Occupied Japan" - a covered dish about 7-8" across - with raised decoration on the sides and top.  The 'knob' is a lovely rose with very delicate petals.  I looked at over 3,000 pieces of occupied Japan items on eBay - and this piece is very different from everything that I looked at.  I have read everything about the 'occupied Japan' exports - and note that there are several discussions on the forum about the history of these marks - but I would like to know the value.  Thanks in advance!  Linda

waywardangler

Re: OCCUPIED JAPAN: UNUSUAL COVERED DISH
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 04:14:24 pm »
Are you looking for a replacement value or a sell value?  The stamp means it was produced when allied forces occupied Japan after WWII.  Just think of all the items that could possibly be made in Japan and then think that all of them would or could possibly have that "Made in Occupied Japan" mark.  I would think the number would be well over 3000.  Any reference book on the subject could not name or picture all of the possible items.  I would think if you could find a similar item and then add some dollar amount for the stamp, that would be its' current value.  I personally do not know how much the "Made in Occupied Japan" mark adds, but some collectors want only those pieces.  Yopu could always post it on eBay and let it ride.  That would determine its' value at that point in time.

FancyIdeas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 04:45:46 pm »
Thanks, Waywardangler.  All of the 'occupied Japan' pieces that I have found are figures or some kind - a 3-dimensional something-or-other - not a rather 'plain' bowl and lid like this.  The occupied Japan pieces also seemed, to me - and I must admit that I am NOT a collector of these items - a bit crude, without much 'sophistication'.  It is a shame that I cannot find a maker's mark on this piece.  Just out of curiousity, I would like to know about it.  I would like to sell it, since I'm not a collector. 

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 08:31:08 am »
   What you have appears to be a Vanity Dish, probably was part of a vanity set.   Occupied Japan items are very collectible, and will sell, but the value of most of these items are under $20.00.   This will mostly depend on the look of the item and then the mark.  Not to say there are not some really rare a valueable items and marks, but for the most part they carry a low To  moderate value.   Lots of Occupied items are out there and you have big compitition, which will pretty much keep value day.  I have sold several items of occupied japan on line, most was hard pressed to get $9.99, even still have a few that don't seem to sell, mostly plain looking or commom items.  You do have a item that is kind of plain, but not really a common item.  If you where to sell on ebay, a starting price of $9.99, would get you between $15.00 to $20.00, unless a couple of people who really want it sees it at the same time and you will get a raise for sure.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 02:35:45 pm »
Nice piece.  Made for export.  Unfortunately, like Ironlord said, don't demand a high price unless someone is really looking for a specific one like it.

Believe it or not folks....some have added the word "occupied Japan" to new pieces to sell...so buyer beware.  Doesn't look the case on this one!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

FancyIdeas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 03:48:44 pm »
Thank you, Ironlord and KC, for your comments.  Probably 60+ years ago, my Mother bought this piece to add additional decoration - as she was a china painter.  I do rather like the simplicity of the plain white porcelain.  I wish she had painted it - she did some gorgeous vases using the subtle, blended colors we see today as 'in' colors for home decor, knitting yarns, clothing, etc.  I suppose, however, that painting it (in 2010), even if very well done, would diminish it's value.