Author Topic: A question about coin cleaning.  (Read 2148 times)

Julekpl

• View Profile
A question about coin cleaning.
« on: September 10, 2010, 06:58:13 pm »
Hello, Julekpl again.

I have a question about coin cleaning. I received a bag of early 1900's coins, from all around the world, and I was wondering, what is the best way of cleaning them? I know, certain metals are cleaned different ways. I've been told that all I need is a toothbrush, and some soap, but that hasn't done much at all. I've also heard that putting coins in boiling lemon juice does the trick, but I don't want to waste a nice coin if it doesn't work.

Please help!

CollectorsOnlineMall

• View Profile
Re: A question about coin cleaning.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 08:38:16 pm »
If the coins are valuable, you should think twice about cleaning them.   Other than that, you have to think about what they're made of.    White vinegar is good for some coins.  If they're silver and just have a lot of tarnish, make a paste out of baking soda and rub it on the coin with your finger, the tarnish will rub right off.   Don't soak too long in lemon juice, it's very acidic.  I took the shine off a zinc medal once letting it sit in lemon juice too long.  Vinegar is not as acidic.

angelbrotherston

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 09:58:18 pm »
The first rule of coin cleaning is: If you don't know its value, don't clean it, or if you think it is valuable, don't clean it, or if you know it is valuable, don't clean it. In other words, do not clean your discovered coins; leave them untouched and stored in proper holders. The reason for this is that coin dealers and collectors are interested in purchasing coins in their original condition and natural state of preservation. However, if your determined to clean your coins or have no desire to sell your coins for profit then I absolutly swear by Carnu-B wax or Metal Shine.  I buy it every year at our local Fair in Seattle but you can get it on-line as well.  It's actually for auto's but I discovered it about 10 yrs ago and first thing I did was start to polish all of my silver with it.  It will not harm your coins as far as cleaning them and virtually restores them to like new.  But I have to agree with CollectorsOnlineMal l. If the coins are valuable or your unsure of their value it may be best to leave them alone. 

Julekpl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 10:25:52 pm »
I appreciate it, thank you. Yeah I started cleaning them, but they are not too uncommon. Just a few half dollars, different kinds of coins, no older than 1900, and no, I don't plan on selling them.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 01:11:53 am »
Ultrasonic cleaning will work too , but you won't get a 'polished' finish with this method (fairly non-harmful , except to patina) .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 09:21:08 am »
Unfortunately, unless you want to use the coins as jewelry, cleaning WILL destroy any value.  Coin collectors like original condition.  If you insist on cleaning them, don't use any abrasives -- not a toothbrush, or even a paper towel.  You need to use very, VERY soft cloths, and you should wear cotton gloves when handling them, to keep the oil from your skin off the coins.  If you wish to preserve value, then use only a very, very soft cloth merely to dislodge cakes of dirt.

Purchase archival grade storage items -- paper envelopes, or cardboard displays, or plastic cases -- as you prefer for storing and displaying.  When you show them off, handle them with the cotton gloves.

And don't discount the coins, unless you're done some research!  Individual coins from the last 100 years can be worth a great deal.  I myself own an American three-cent nickle that I unearthed in my backyard, which is worth many thousand times more than its face value.  The amount of silver in a coin also counts a great deal -- just as melt, an ounce of silver is worth just under $20 as of Friday's market.