Author Topic: french deco lamp  (Read 3889 times)

cherimarie

• View Profile
french deco lamp
« on: September 11, 2010, 07:09:47 pm »
Hi everyone!
I have a old French Deco Lamp from what we believe is from 1920's.
I'm pretty sure it is an original from France. No a copy.
Could anyone help me out with the value or the maker? Year?
It has no stamps or stickers from the maker.

Thanks so much

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: french deco lamp
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 08:50:41 pm »
Welcome to the forum cherimarie. I suggest you repost this in the 'Questions' section of the forum where it will get viewed by more members. Please bear with us as the weekend tends to be a quieter time around here.

Incredible lamp you have!  Will see if I can locate anything for you, but more knowledgeable people will be by.  ;)

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 09:03:26 pm »
Maybe the moderator can move this post for us to make it a little easier. I can say that the glass appears to be Italian murano glass. I have some newer pieces of murano glass. Maybe it's French but the glass is usually an "Italian" thing. ;)
I'm sure there's plenty of copycat countries out there though. Beautiful lamp!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murano_glass

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 09:44:01 pm »
I'd say if you have an original you possess something worth a few $$    :o

Art Deco Gerdago Pixie Lamp with Millefiori Shade

http://cgi.ebay.com/Art-Deco-Gerdago-Pixie-Lamp-Millefiori-Glass-Shade-/200513119317?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eaf836455#ht_946wt_1136

Yours appears in better condition when comparing the face.

Another similar with 43 bids so far  ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ART-DECO-NUDE-FIGURAL-FRENCH-LAMP-MILLEFIORI-SHADE-30s-/230519934057?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item35ac0f0c69#ht_7275wt_1136

Kudos to hosman for mentioning the Murano glass.....which led me to these.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 09:54:19 pm by sapphire »

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 09:47:04 pm »

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 09:55:16 pm »
cheri, has your lamp had some sort of repair done to the leg that touches the base?

cherimarie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 11:16:15 pm »
Thanks, I was trying to figure this thing out...lol.. It kept putting me to this page so I figured this is where I should post..lol.. Any info on how to get to the main message board or chat? Thanks

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 11:25:54 pm »
I am a moderator and just moved this to this board.  This is the board where everyone checks in to see what questions posters have on their antiques or the "main" message board.  The titles for each board are pretty clear.  There is no live chat board.  I would have moved this earlier but I just got home from an event.

This is a beautiful lamp.  I bet it is even neater when it is lit up.  Nice piece cherimarie.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 07:08:52 am »
Sapphire  you are right on!!! ;) this is a Art Deco Gerdago Pixie lamp with a beautiful Italian millefiori shade. The beautiful shade is produced by separate small rods of glass rolled with several colors to create all the diffrent variations in color & pattern the rods are  then sliced vertical then pressed a little and placed together. You are also correct that the back leg that attaches to the lamp has had a poor repair done &  placed at the wrong angle. Cherimarie a beautiful piece & highly collectable with a high $$$$ amount but you would need to find a reputable  very experienced person who restores this type of antique to fix it. It will not  be cheap to repair. Beautiful piece and in my opinion well worth it.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 07:23:49 am »
http://www.google.com/products?client=safari&rls=en&q=gerdago+pixie+lamp&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=S9OMTJSTPMHflgevt71g&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=image&resnum=3&ved=0CCgQzAMwAg

Must find a skilled artisan to repair....which won't be easy.  If you are going to sell it you need to sell as it which is better than having it badly repaired.  If you are going to keep it....take the time to find an expert in the field in your area.  Go to a local museum for advice!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 07:33:21 am »
KC GREAT advise I did not even think of contacting museums

cherimarie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 08:20:20 am »
Wow, thanks everyone for your advice. I got a bunch of things from my Dad's house that he got from my Grandfather. Both wonderful men have passed and now I'm digging for info on all of the things my step mom called "junk"...lol..

I'm not to sure what I'm going to do with this piece. I know the leg is repaired and it looks like it may be missing a piece thats why its at the wrong angle. It still lights up. I was told it could value about $5,000 from my mother(she drinks alot)!! So I really just wanted to find out for myself. I hope I can find someone who can repair it and clean it up. It would be a nice conversational piece during the holidays!! ;)

Maybe I can post some more of my fun "junk" later!!! Happy with my finding!! Thanks

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 08:38:37 am »
cherimarie being a mother of 2 I sometimes drink alot also  ;) she may have been thinking of Antique Baccarat closepack millefiori paperweights more rare and appealing designs might easily sell for $3,000-$5,000; the extremely rare weights could sell for $10,000 or more.