Author Topic: Looking to sell a tea set from Occupied Japan painted with 24 carat gold paint  (Read 2654 times)

Suzanne Dwyer

• View Profile
I have this really beautiful set. 1 tea pot, 6 saucers, 4 cups and 1 creamer. They are all hand painted on the interior with 24 carat gold paint with embossed dragons on the outside. I am having a hard time finding any information on this considering it was from the time of the Korean war and one a few were made, or so I was told. I would appreciate any information about this set as well as anyone who might be looking to purchase. Thank you.

Sara Finn

• View Profile
Welcome to the Antique-Shop forum, Suzanne.

Plenty of items like you've described were manufactured in asian countries, so some pictures would help quite a bit here (including any hallmarks, etc. that you might find).... you might also try holding the bottom of a cup or saucer up to a light & look through the item (there are some types of items that have an image within the ceramic, such as: dragons, people, flowers, etc).
 :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Welcome Suzanne D - we really need pictures!  Thanks!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
   Would really love to see a pic or two of them if possible.   Occupied Japan stuff does have a really good following, esp. when they are extra fancy as you have described.   I have deal a few pieces of Occupied Japan over the past couple of years, Pretty much it sells.  Not really sells for $$$.00, but a good piece can fetch you $10.00 to $20.00  (Ebay Price).   Lots of Occupied Japan stuff and even a fair amount of Fakes, espically online.  Really easy to put made in Occupied Japan and pawn it off for a few bucks more.  If it has a hallmark with it, more likey to sell better.  You mentioned embossed Dragons, is it like heavy Paint?  I have a few cups with this style Art applied to the outside, usually on Eggshell porcelain  (really Thin).   Since you do not have a complete set, you will make more money selling seperate most likely.  A extra fancy occupied japan cup could get $50.00.   Then you have the Teapot, bet a Teapot collector woul snag that up, but as a set well maybe $75.00. Of course this is without information and pics, just a general IMO.

BadOrderKing

• View Profile
Welcome to the Antique-Shop forum, Suzanne.

Plenty of items like you've described were manufactured in asian countries, so some pictures would help quite a bit here (including any hallmarks, etc. that you might find).... you might also try holding the bottom of a cup or saucer up to a light & look through the item (there are some types of items that have an image within the ceramic, such as: dragons, people, flowers, etc).
 :)

I am so glad that I was bored enough to read back 75 pages and stumble into this thread!! After reading this. i went straight to a tea set that my grandmother gave my wife a while back. SURE ENOUGH, an image of an oriental lady can be seen. WOW!! I had no idea. LOL.She will love this when she wakes up.

Thanks

cogar

• View Profile
Just do a Google on ...... lithophane tea cups ...... and you can find mucho info.

wendy177

• View Profile
These were made in Japan during the 1920s & 1930s.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
I have never heard of seeing images. I hope I get to see that in person one day. How neat!