Author Topic: Fruit bowl and candlesticks  (Read 5635 times)

foxeygma

• View Profile
Fruit bowl and candlesticks
« on: September 24, 2010, 07:30:48 am »
I have these items and was told the pattern is called Starwear ..has anyone everheard of this ??? The lady who told me this said this type of glassware was sold in  parties ,as in like  a Tupperware party. I inherited it from my husbands Grandmother.It is an Amber colored glass.Have finally gotten time to post the pictures of the fruit bowl,and one candlestick holder.The other had become broken due to a candle burning down into   the holder  :( I just can't seem to  bring myself to toss it out  even tho it's broke .

« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 08:45:43 pm by foxeygma »

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Fruit bowl and candlesticks
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 08:32:35 am »
We really need to see pictures of your items.

Not saying that yours are but sometimes things are called by names that are really not their names at all.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 08:41:10 am »
Really need to see it!  One thing you will learn on this site is that at lease 75 - 80% (if not higher) of those who come to this site come with flawed or totally incorrect information.  We do our best to help get you on the right track with the right information....and we all learn a little more along the way!

So, look forward to your pictures!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

foxeygma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 01:10:44 pm »
Pictures posted.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 04:43:04 pm »
Your piece was manufactured by Indiana glass company Dunkirk, Ind. Amber color made late 1920s to 1980s  pattern sandwich - single light candle stick same pattern & company.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 04:54:57 pm by wendy177 »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 08:48:26 pm »
Looks Like wendy beat me to this one  :P.   The color is Desert Gold and was made between 1961 -1964.  This is considered as Depression, cause the pattern was started in 1938 with Ruby red, followed by White ivory in 1939 and etc. Was re introduced in the 50's and 60's.  Not so sure about the Tupperware party thing, the original Depression Glass was given away in Soap Boxes and Theaters.  Anchor Hocking was a popular mass producers of Glass esp. 50's - 70's.   One additional note about Desert Gold is it has good value at least according to my book in my lap.  What is the Diameter of the Bowl?, and I will have to look on the net but I see nothing about a Candlestick in this pattern and color?  Basically Your bowl if is Fruit bowl in Size, Would be worth around $30.00  This is pretty good for a post depression glass by Anchor. 

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 09:42:45 pm »
Ironlord I think I can solve your candle stick mystery you will not find a  single light candle stick made by Hocking in this color & pattern they did not make one, At first glance I thought it was made by Duncan & Miller but with a closer look  it was not  made by Duncan & Miller or Hocking, It was produced by the  Indiana glass company. All three companies made the pattern sandwich all in amber & desert gold but all differ a little in pattern style.(this does not help glass lovers like us to nail them down ;))  Replacements has an example of the candle stick in clear, sandwich pattern by Indiana glass company.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 10:22:32 pm »
O.k. Had to look a bit closer at all the Patterns that are much like Sandwich.  And the Bowl is actually a Princess Feather by Westmorland.  The Pattern first appeared in 1939, but was reproduced in Golden Sunset in the 1960's.  You are right about this style can make one head spin.  I will have to look for Ducan Sandwich.  Indiana had the Daisy and the Sandwich, Anchor put out a Sandwich, then let's not forget about Macbeth's S pattern, and today we have the pattern called Classic that my better half collects look alot like the Sandwich.  I will have to go verify but the bowl pattern matches Westmorlands Princess Feather.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 10:31:00 pm »
O.k. now I'm really getting confused  :o.   I better take back the princess Feather, not quite the same either.  I'm going to have to break out some more books. or Am I just blind here Wendy?  It is not matching quite any of them thus far.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 10:41:06 pm »
I know Ironlord this will make us crazyyyyyyyyy I have to stand by Indiana glass company  Agree the flower on Princess feather does not match, lets count that one out.   If you go to replacments and pull up Indiana glass, sandwich amber they have a console bowl pattern match. In clear they have the 7" sandwich candle stick match. check it out & let me know what you think.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 10:48:53 pm »
O.k. looks like a match to me, guess I have a case of blindness  8) .  Actually it was the books for some reason the pattern in the book is a bit different.   

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 10:55:12 pm »
I have that problem with the books also , I think how big the piece of glass you are looking at has lots to do with how much of the pattern & how they placed it on a piece. (did that make any sense?) thanks to my favorite glass & porcelain guy on here for keeping me on my toes ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 11:20:49 pm »
You two are great!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

foxeygma

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 09:02:22 am »
You Guys are AMAZING :)I so enjoyed reading this post.I appreciate so much your reasearching ,the bowl measured 8inches does this sound right?

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 10:23:44 am »
I think I have solved the glassware  that was sold in  parties ,as in like  a Tupperware party question,  Tiara Glass was made from 1970 to 1998 using old Indiana Glass Company and Duncan Miller molds. Tiara glass was produced by Indiana Glass and other glass manufacturers and sold through the Tiara home party plan. Boxes and stickers bore the Tiara name. Tiara Sandwich dinnerware was made in the following colors: Ruby (limited quantities), Amber, Crystal, Bicentennial Blue (sometimes called Colonial or Midnight Blue) , Chantilly (pale green), Peach (sometimes called pink, but the official name was Peach), and Spruce (teal). A few items were also made in other colors. The Tiara company ceased production in late 1998. However, Tiara Glass in Plum was offered by Home Interiors during 1999 and 2000.