Author Topic: Box full of old Ukulele and Banjo strings  (Read 2350 times)

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
Box full of old Ukulele and Banjo strings
« on: September 25, 2010, 03:20:42 pm »
Found this among my FIL's collection.  These likely came out of his father's store, which he ran until about 1940-ish.

The box says "Gretsch Eagle Brand Ukulele strings, One Half Dozen, D or 3rd Strings, each ten cents, #254".

In the box are eleven 3rd Strings, six 1st Strings, and one Tenor Banjo String.  Also, there is one empty 3rd String envelope.

Any idea on history of this company?  We are thinking of putting them on eBay, so we would appreciate any advice on whether we should sell the entire box as one unit, or sell each string separately, and what you think they might be worth, if anything!

Thanks so much!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 03:27:34 pm by CuriousCollector »

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Box full of old Ukulele and Banjo strings
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 06:01:30 pm »
Nice little blast-from-the-past , CuriousCollector .

Gretsch Co. was formed in 1883 .

They mostly manufactured guitars & drums/drum sets , although they did have several product lines for other stringed instruments .

Depending on the condition of the strings , they have a somewhat small value , except to collectors of Gretsch do-dads , IMO (& I would sell the whole box as one unit) .
If you sell them for actual use , I'd add on a disclaimer concerning the 'playability' of them .

The Gretsch company is still in business .

If you had some vintage Paul Bigsby stuff , it would draw in quite a bit .

Paul Bigsby , Chet Atkins & George Harrison were among MANY famous guitarists who chose Gretsch guitars as favorites .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 09:51:23 pm »
fun finds!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 07:47:10 am »
I would sell the strings that are supposed to be in the box (no. 254) with the box.  The others could be a separate lisitng or go with the boxed strings.  I think the value lies with the vintage box but I do not know if ukelele items are highly collected.  Might bring some interest from our Island State.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 08:08:52 am »
Found a seller with a bunch of violin strings on ebay, selling them individually. I assume yours are worth about the same. The box is cool, probably worth $10 or more on it's own.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-GRETSCH-EAGLE-BRAND-VIOLIN-G-STRING-NO-207-/200388185196?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ea8110c6c

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 10:38:32 am »
Thanks, everyone!

Yeah, going through this stuff is a lot of fun.  The best items, of course, have little or no value.  I just transcribed the surviving pages of my husband's great-grandmother's diary, who was a schoolteacher in isolated and rural Stewart County, Georgia in 1898-9.  She speaks of her intense loneliness, letters from home (including from the man who would become her husband), and describes why she rejected another suitor's marriage proposal.  PRICELESS!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 07:21:15 am by CuriousCollector »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 03:44:57 pm »
I just love the old stories of people in our family that we never met!  Their lives, struggles/hardships and victories.....

I am sad to say I just came across a will of family in the 1700's that had slaves (and values of them) and gave them to each of their children (12 to be exact).  Just brought tears to my eyes!  I know it was of a different time....  However, I did find comments that they were good people and kind.  Built homes for the workers/slaves and let them have land to work of their own.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!