Author Topic: Fleshpot  (Read 11451 times)

smada1974

• View Profile
Fleshpot
« on: September 27, 2010, 10:43:12 am »
Hello all.   i was just wondering if anyone could shed any light or give me some information on an article i have.
Its called a fleshpot which consists of 3 casserole dishes of a nude torso (woman in this case). its made by a person called morris rushton but i cannot find anywhere that sells these items or how much it would be worth in auction. i have found a picture of a pair of white pots but the one i have are brown
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 10:58:14 am by smada1974 »

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Fleshpot
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 11:32:06 am »
Found the white pots   http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_item_detail.php?id=386912

for both  male & female they have a price of $4,500.00 :o
I would contact them to inquire about your brown.

to see pricing http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_search.php?cur_tab=SS&dqpage=1&DQID=62
click on antique associations members, scroll to lower half of page  can't miss them x rated ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 11:40:32 am by wendy177 »

smada1974

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 12:11:51 pm »
Thanks for that info. i have also found out that they only made them in 3 colours, white,brown and blue.The brown and the blue are less common than the white. Whether this reflects in there value i have no idea. I also found out that Morris Rushton tried to buy The Gladstone Pottery Museum in stoke on trent when it went into liquidation years ago but he was unable to find the funding.I have taken to my fleshpot to a local auctioneers and it is going under the hammer on the 28th october http://www.adampartridge.co.uk/

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 01:00:42 pm »
I was getting ready to remove this when I saw the title on new posts.  Who would buy such a thing and on what occasion would one use it?

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 01:18:44 pm »
I was afraid to open the post  :-\    I don't think I would want to be served out of it especially the bottom casserole piece but that's just me!!!!!  And that price is just crazyyyyyyy

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 04:05:16 pm »
I can see why they didn't become the most popular items sold for households!  Chuckle-Chuckle!
Gotta admit...I was leary of the post myself and pondered whether to open it initially or not.

Glad it is bringing in some $$$$ for some people.

Would not be served at our dinner table tho!  (Although there have been a few people in my lifetime it would have been great to see their expressions!)  Shame on me!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 05:21:33 pm »
I have a friend in London who owns one of the white female fleshpots .

She is a (self-proclaimed) lez-bean (that's really what she calls herself) , who brings it out 4 times a year , at the changing of the season for what she calls "Hannibal Lecter Night" .

Go figure .....

I sure didn't know that they were selling for such a high price !

All the best of fortune with this item @ auction , smada1974 !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 05:45:14 pm »
fancy tell your lez-bean (toooooo cute) friend  to  be careful not to break her Hannibal Lecter Night dinner ware!!!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 09:22:58 pm »
Okay fellow antiquers.....just had to know more about this bizarre pottery.....

Did you know that it wasn't just torso pottery?  They made lots of busts of very famous people IN THE "HOLLYWOOD GREATS" Collection.  They made really bizarre vases, etc.  Their items hold their values (but not like the one listed above).

Judy Garland  Value over $400  of 300-999 Euro

The King Value over $300 in white and more in color
Clark Gable
Potters Mark
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 09:37:58 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 09:28:34 pm »
James Kent
1896 - Present
China and Earthenware
Longton
Began as James Kent, Ltd., in Longton. The trade name "Old Foley" was used until 1986 when it was purchased by Fleshpots, Ltd. when it was renamed "James Kent, Limited" using the trade names "James Kent, Old Foley, Fleshpots, and Foley"

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 10:14:05 pm »
I was afraid to open this one at work, lol! I remember some less detailed cake pans from the seventies that were used for bachelor parties and such. Incredible what these go for!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Chippychap

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 01:42:46 am »
I was afraid to open the post  :-\    I don't think I would want to be served out of it especially the bottom casserole piece but that's just me!!!!!  And that price is just crazyyyyyyy

Hi Wendy, Just to add my two cents worth.
I have the lady one, we bought it about twenty years ago at a boot sale held at a posh convent school in the UK where we live.
The very upper class lady I bought it off said that when she held dinner parties she would turn the figure to the wall. :o
Don't know if showing it's bum to the guests makes much difference.
You guys have taught me more about the thing than I have been able to find out in 20 years.
Bless you for that.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 02:26:26 am »
LOL, $4500 for that? gee wiz

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 02:27:56 pm »
Chippychap glad we could help  :D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 11:32:44 am »
LOL....glad you found out more.

I guess you could "moon" your guests with the dish!  LOL