Author Topic: RCA Victrola  (Read 3542 times)

foxeygma

• View Profile
RCA Victrola
« on: September 28, 2010, 11:19:43 am »
I have 2 of these,and 1 record.Both of them work the title to the record is  Old Folks at Home(Swanee River)...sung by Alma Gluck and Efren Zimblast., pinaforte by Sam Chotzinoff.Will  beposting pictures.I'm thinking If I use the info an the record paten # etc I will be able to get a lot of what I want to know about them .??Its a start .

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: RCA Victrola
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 11:27:03 am »
There should be a plate on the underside that gives the patent date which would be just a little earlier than the date the Victrola was made. The records are worth next to nothing I'm afraid. But they are fun to play! I love my old Victrola and if functional, they seem to sell for about $200-ish to $400-ish on Craigslist. The type with the large horn can go for more. FYI, you can still get Victorla needles online, Ebay is a good place to get them.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 11:42:52 am »
Pictures would help a bunch! If it's an RCA Victrola then it was made later than a Victor Victrola. I believe RCA bought out Victor in the late 20's. The serial number will tell a lot. If yours were made in the 60's or later, they are worth about $75 in my area. If they are older than that then maybe a bit more. Records sell for about $1 each.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_Victrola
http://www.victor-victrola.com/Started2.htm

foxeygma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 12:10:10 pm »
Thanks guys I found a site and it states there is a plate with serial number etc.on the underside of the turntable???Do I dare proceed to start taking out the screws to get to it  :-\ I don't want to mess anything up.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 12:14:49 pm »
Usually the turntable itself just lifts up and comes off. But maybe yours is different than my Victor.

foxeygma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 12:32:22 pm »
The turntable wont lift up >:( on either one .There are numbers on the.... whatever you call that part where the needle goes .I have taken pictures but honestly I'm just learing to do all this concerning down loading pics  etc.Waiting for HELP!!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 01:19:16 pm »
Do you have the pictures saved onto your computer yet? Like, can you open them up and look at them? Are they still on your camera's little picture card? I can try to walk you through it but gotta know where the pictures are first. :)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 01:38:02 pm »
Nooooooooooooo!! There should be a metal plate on the bottom of the wooden cabinet it is in. Don't attempt to take your Victrola apart. Just gently up-end it, taking care to support the arm and turntable while you're doing this.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 01:41:38 pm »
Here's a good sample of the type of plate to look for. It is possible yours may have been removed.

http://www.victor-victrola.com/Identification.htm

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 01:50:38 pm »
I should have chosen my words better. I meant walk you through adding pictures to the forum. Not taking your machine apart. I know nothing about taking them apart lol.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 01:52:53 pm by hosman321 »

foxeygma

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 02:04:55 pm »
O. K.  Ladies heres a good laugh ..I clicked way only to find my card already in the computer whenI finally got help to down load , no pictures saved. >:( >:( >:( Now to find the camera is DEAD DEAD DEAD!!I did go to that sight I have nothing any where to resemble any kind of identification plate or serial numbers.I did get off the arm this information patented June 7,1921 & Oct11,1921.RCA  Victor Co. Inc. Camden,N.J USA.its going to take at least a 30 min wait for the camera.O.K. so before making this post toook one last final look under the turntable.There appears to be a piece of paper that was stated in the site pasted under the turntable .Under investigation  will post more later .Here are some pictures
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 03:48:54 pm by foxeygma »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 03:56:39 pm »
The patent date gives you the approximate date on how old it is, is there a model number? To get a correct value we would need to figure out what that is and then enter it on the Victrola site above. The model number will probably start with V.

foxeygma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 04:08:55 pm »
O.k here  is what  managed to get off the sticker under the turntable.RCA Victor,Portable Victrola 265.and I am all played out  :D The other one is the same .Thanks Guys for your help.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 04:38:01 pm »
Here you go, I'm afraid the RCA Victor page gives it a low value rating. http://www.victor-victrola.com/2-65.htm