Author Topic: Hoosier Cabinet  (Read 8880 times)

foxeygma

• View Profile
Hoosier Cabinet
« on: September 29, 2010, 02:25:02 pm »
This belonged to my Mother ..... I was not aware until I started searching just how many companies made these cabinets.I finally renebered after searchingsince 7 nthis morn ,theres isastickerunder the cabinet .i managed to get this H.J.Scheiriech may be misspelled .Did seea date 7/07/1952 t his information is from what looks like a shipping label???Wouklld like to restore it, maybe find the value and pictures .

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Hoosier Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 05:23:50 pm »
You'll find loads of Hoosier info on this earlier topic when the good folks here helped me restore my Hoosier. Although keep in mind that yours is about sixty years later and the paint and enamel would mean that if any restoration were to be done it would be considerably different.
http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=6351.0

I'd say that if the paint is original, you might consider NOT restoring and letting it keep it's "retro kitchen" look. However if it has been repainted once already you might as well go for it. Since it has an enamelled top, you might consider if finished wood would or would not look good with it.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 10:12:06 pm »
Foxeygma, Tales is correct, don't restore it, just give it a good cleaning, polishing, whatever. To restore it would be to strip it and re-paint it again and it would not look as good as it does now unless it was spray-painted with Gloss White enamel. Those are still a good seller, ...... no pun intended.

I got an e-mail a couple months ago from an acquaintence who wanted to know if I had one (a white kitchen cabinet w/flower bin) or knew where she could purchase one. There is a "generation" that is now looking for them because that is what their mothers had when they were growing up.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 12:23:56 am »
Ironlord's chopper would look great with this Hoosier...

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 05:41:19 am »
And I'd bet Ironlord is eyeing those two pieces on top of the hoosier, trying to get a better look ;)

foxeygma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 06:31:28 am »
Thanks Talesof  & Sapphire.It does say on the back of the cabinet ..... cabinet no 509 white& redThere are some red handles and some silver .It has been re-painted white ,what I am curious about is on the flour bin  there seems to be some sort of decoration that is peeping  thru,and also about if there was a roll-down door .It appears my Dad did some of his repair work,there was at on time rollers on the bottom to move it and he built a wooden frame,. and nailed it to the bottom.That is where the covering up of the sticker began and after sveral people strainng their eyes we did decipher this information  name  H.J.Scherich,  date 10/07/1952 ,Ozark,1923 So  Jer ,St louis, MO This definitely is a shipping label.What I do want to do is give  it a good cleaning  maybe try and take off this newer coat of paint ,find all matching handles and drawer brackets need replaced   .Mom and I baked a lot of goodies and this cabinet has many memories for us.On the shelf for Ironlord's curosity are a red and white porcelain pot,egg beater as we called them lo l  red and white wooden handle and a sifter .These I found  at a flea market.Any and All information on history,value and the Cleaning of this prized possesion would be greatly appreciated.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 01:02:51 pm »
By-all-means....restore it!  Great piece of family history there!  Document it, insert into a large manilla envelope and tape it back (where you can open the flap get out the contents while still adhered).....where others can reap the benefit of the research you are doing now!!!!  Include any pics of you using it and stories of you and your mom!  An added bonus would be to include a couple of recipes that were made using this!!!!!

What a treasure!!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 01:17:38 pm »
I think the toughest part is going to be tracking down the red handles. Can you give us an up-close photo of one of the original red handles so that we can perhaps give you a hand in locating some replacements? We will need to know the measurement of the handle from hole to hole on center also.

foxeygma

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 03:51:32 pm »
That will be my goal KC ...my girls open the cabinet and take deep breathes .Their first comment is," smells like Grandma" her  spices she would put  where the flour sifter is,the flour bin held goodies Grandpa and her ,both hid for the grandkids, when they came to visit.In  talking  my oldest daughter  piped up  "Moon Pies".....Grandma thought their favorite lol.Lots of recipebooks and  loose ones from" the paper" and magazines were kept in the lard drawer?? So many memories and I so want to clean it up and make more memories .My Mother always wanted one of these and my Dad located it for her in Elvins Mo in the 70's.This I fear is going to take just as long as my Genealogy.Talesof Iam going to post pics and measurements of handles, hinges etc.What would anyone suggest to take off the newer paint???,under it the paint is yellowed with age and on the flour bin door is some sort of design I'm just itching to see.

foxeygma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 03:55:19 pm »
Talesof,There are nine handles 4original

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 03:57:31 pm »
LOVED reading your story and memories associated with this Hoosier. That's just exactly the kind of thing that makes an antique a treasure. Looking forward to reading more and watching the cabinet being restored for the next generation!

That's great that you have four original handles. I bet we can find five more. The originals are red, right? Bakelite maybe?

foxeygma

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 04:05:45 pm »
seem to be metal am a little familiar with Bakelite and this dosent appear to be to me .Five of the handles are red like the one posted  one is green like the red ones and the other 3 shiny metal,3 ins exactly from screw to screw .
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:11:37 pm by foxeygma »

foxeygma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 04:13:55 pm »
flour sifter and where roll door went
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:16:28 pm by foxeygma »

foxeygma

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 04:40:31 pm »
Had to post these items ,found  the sifter,egg beater, and pot at a flea market. Took my breathe away I  had to have them.The rolling pin was Mother,s she had it as far back as I could rembe,r baking with her ...and that started at age 7. Me,Mother and a can of Hereshey's Cocoa.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 04:57:32 pm »
3" is a good size, it's easy to find. You could certainly get metal ones and they would look great, that would be easy. But it would really look cool if red replacements are available...

A-hunting I will go! A-hunting I will go! Hi-ho-the-merry-o...