Author Topic: Hoosier Cabinet  (Read 8884 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Hoosier Cabinet
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 05:09:35 pm »
These are very close, but not exact:
http://www.auroramills.com/cart/item.php?id=494

Here's what looks to be the exact right pull, but in white. Could this be painted with Krylon on the plastic? Could her original pulls be restored with plastic-adhering paint?

Not period correct, but would look great, are readily available and are the right size:
http://www.eknobsandpulls.com/rio-3-cc-red-pull-p12819.html

Antiqueaholic in recovery

foxeygma

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 08:13:06 pm »
So I have taken  two of the handles off ,,,what a mess they are .And they are not metal .....some type of plastic as you can see from the pictures, the fine metal strip does come out. How to clean ,how to clean.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 11:32:24 pm »
Foxygma I have my antique rolling pin and other kitchen gadgets in an old bowl on my Hoosier too. Yours looks great!

foxeygma

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 09:20:36 am »
Wow that is Beautif talesof ...how much restoring did you do ??

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 10:38:29 am »
Every step is in the forum topic that I posted above, so you can get all the details there. Basically I did everything period authentic using antique parts and keeping the original finish. It got wavy antique glass cut to size from panes taken from an old Victorian era house, the wood was oiled but not altered on 90% of the cabinet, which still had its original oiled and not stained finish. The work surface had been sanded then left with paint cans sitting on it for 30 years, so I did have to resurface that, but we did as little as we could and then just oiled it so that it was treated the same as the rest of the Hoosier and it is gradually blending in and matching the rest of the cabinet. I replaced the drawer knobs with antique wooden drawer knobs and the bin pulls with 1878 patented antiques. The only modern parts are the cabinet interior catches which are hidden under the shelves inside. I used these because I found some very small ones that would blend in well and it appeared that originally the doors had never been equipped with latches, but now the doors wouldn't stay shut on their own.

Here's the before/after pics:

foxeygma

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 06:15:10 pm »
I know if talesof can get it done so can I ...making head way on cleaning the oiginal handlesTwo diffent types of paint  green and white .

foxeygma

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 09:28:17 pm »
Curiosity and endless hours of searching  got the best of me ...so I  decided to take the cabinet apart and have my Hubby cut out the piece of board covering the shipping label.The company  that  shipped  it was... H.J Scheirich,Louisville 9, Kentucky.Sent  to...  Ozark Furniture Co. , 1623 Jefferson,  St.Louis ,Mo
        qty.1 ,no.519,Kitchen   cabinet white&. First part of A. Still havent figured  out what  kind   if a Hoosier it is .I could have a ZZZ  Top to an A.... makin me crazzzy !!!! and my eye sight worse .

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 12:54:36 am »
Well, I haven't been able to find a Hoosier with that same distictive window yours has. You may not be able to positively ID the manufacturer and may have to look at similar ones and determine an approximate date range from those. I'm not a furniture expert but Hoosiers fell out of favor when built-in cabinets caught on in the twenties. I think that the last ones were made in the thirties or a few in the forties. I suspect the style of your is 1920-1940. Can anyone else comment on that?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 04:02:00 am »
I think the best bet for dating that cabinet is the "red trim" around the porcelain work surface.

foxeygma

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 07:40:09 am »
Yep Guys I'm still at it. :)My husband and I went out to a few antique stores this past Tues .Tales of thought of you immediately  :)Some of the old locks ,doors and hardware Awesome.Found a Hoosier...  what a beauty Anyway got me to talking about my Hoosier , she told me mine sounded like Deco so I am on a new lead .

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2010, 08:28:49 am »
Hi Foxeygma,

I've found  a couple that are pretty close to yours ..  (2nd pic)

http://schultzauctioneerslandmarkrealty.com/3-generation-farmstead-auction/

and another one from an Auction, but not much info, although the first gives it as being 50s.

Nevertheless, a lovely piece, the whole flavour reminds me of my mother's kitchen when I was small, although we wouldn't have had a Hoosier but something that was probably cobbled together.