Author Topic: Antique German Silver  (Read 3840 times)

lewmel

• View Profile
Antique German Silver
« on: October 04, 2010, 05:54:33 pm »
Hi everyone,
I just picked up this awesome set of silverware.  It is marked German Silver.  It looks very old, but I dont know anything about it.
Can anyone help identify the maker, or approximate age.  Any info would be helpful.
Thanks

waywardangler

Re: Antique German Silver
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 06:00:03 pm »
There is no silver in German silver.  It is an alloy of nickel, copper, and zinc.  And that is about all I know about silverware, except how to use it properly (if there aren't too many forks, knives, spoons to confuse me at one place setting).

lewmel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 06:08:19 pm »
Thanks for the info.
Its a start.  Hopefully someone will recognize the pattern.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 07:01:54 pm »
Haven't found you anything yet on the "German" silver or pattern name, but came across this.......

"The obverse of this coin bears the Saudi Arabian coat of arms, which is two crossed swords under a palm tree"

http://hillsdaledigital.cdmhost.com/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p4030coll6&CISOPTR=278&CISOBOX=1&REC=8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Saudi_Arabia

Might be a clue as to the market your set was made for.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 07:06:40 pm by sapphire »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 07:29:51 pm »
Found nothing in any of my books, with that Pattern, very unusual for sure. Without maker marks one would have days of looking through patterns.  Might be possible they are special made.  Maybe for someone in Saudi Arabia, sure does resemble their coat of arms like sapphire found.  But a special order made with just German Silver would be kind of expensive, one with money would most likely go for Silver, at least plate.  Anyway I will keep my eyes open just in case I see that pattern. 

lewmel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 09:38:58 pm »
Thanks so much for the info.  I will keep researching and hopefully find more. 
I agree that the pattern is Saudi Arabian.  Thats my first Clue -- Thanks so much!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 11:26:32 pm »
Note comments on Saudi coins on this site  http://www.joelscoins.com/silver.htm
under Bu Saudi Silver Riyal

These were used in Germany as well!

Are you sure there aren't any marks on any of the pieces?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 11:29:20 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

lewmel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 01:03:27 am »
Yeah,
I have looked over every piece and there are no other marks besides the "German Silver"  and those marks are in different places on every piece.  And most of the marks are barely legible, most of the pieces only have a few letters left. I know the last picture is not that great, but that is the only piece that is somewhat legible.  Its like that markings have worn off.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 10:16:08 am »
Nickel silver is first known in China. It was a copper-nickel-zinc alloy in the 18th century. In 1770 the Suhl (Germany) metalworks produced a similar alloy. A German competition in 1823 was held to perfect the production process and create an alloy with the closest visual look to silver. Two manufacturers (The brothers Henniger in Berlin and Ernst August Geitner in Schneeberg) were able to to this.  The renowmned manufacturer Berndorf named the trademark brand Alpacca, which became widely known in northern Europe for nickel silver. Appx same time in 1832, a form of German silver was also invented in Birmingham, England.
With the invent of ectroplating, nickel silver became widely used after 1840.

The reason I included this is to show it was a widely used (and very popular) silver-look among the masses.  You can try and search the top named manufacturers ( I am betting these are from around the 1900 - early 1900's.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

lewmel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 11:17:34 am »
KC,
Thanks for all the awesome information! I will be researching those companies, hopefully I will be able to find this set.
Any thoughts on value of the set?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 04:44:43 pm »
Lets see if we can find the maker....otherwise it will be valued very low!

lewmel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 11:20:18 pm »
Just a thought but the red box that set is in, is marked England on the handle.
Thought I would mention that, after rereading KC's post about Birmingham!

waywardangler

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 12:20:10 am »
Possibly used for first class flyers on Saudi Arabian Airlines?  Many branded items for flying on this page http://www.spokemd.co.uk/Saudia.htm

A side note on using German silver flatware..."Nickel silver (also called German Silver) actually does not contain any silver -- it is a copper-nickel alloy. German Silver may also contain zinc. Copper and zinc are not "foodsafe". This doesn't mean that the flatware presents a serious hazard (as Paracelsus tells us, the difference between a medicine and a poison lies in the dose) -- but at best it may mean an unpleasant metallic taste as you have already noticed. These days nickel-silver is mostly used as the base for silverplate rather than as a final finish; and as a base it is a strong, attractive, all around great material. If you have old and very worn silverplated flatware, you may well be looking at underlying nickel-silver.

I would suggest that you either retire them to a place where they can be shown off but not used or -- much better-- that you send them to a silver plating shop and have them silver plated. Then they will retain their beautiful shape and balance, and you will keep your memories, but they will now be food-safe and free of metallic taste."

Ted Mooney, P.E.
finishing.com
Brick, New Jersey 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 12:46:15 am by waywardangler »