Author Topic: I Bought It But What Is It? - Union Porcelain Works, dates to 1877  (Read 21727 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Here's another "what is it?" for y'all. I think this is some type of kitchen gadget- That's what I'm hoping at any rate! The seller thinks it is a meat tenderizer (I'm kinda doubtful about that). I thought perhaps it is an herb or spice grinding pestle, but the head is flat. Some kind of press or masher? I'm at a loss.

Here's what I do know. It was made by the Union Porcelain Works of Greenpoint NY and looks like it dates to 1877, based on the info below. The overall length is 9-1/4". The flat surface of the head is 2-1/8" in diameter.

Union Porcelain Works ID sheet:

The thing:

« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 06:34:17 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: I Bought It But What Is It? - Union Porcelain Works, dates to 1877
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 06:33:36 pm »
I was figuring spice grinder (mortar/pestle style) but...honestly do believe iit could be a tenderizer as well!!!!  Are there any wear marks?

My mom would use the edge of a plate sometimes to help tenderize meat and never broke/chipped one!

Here's an older one in blue onion/different style!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 06:40:52 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 06:36:11 pm »
I haven't got it in hand yet, I just did a "Buy it Now" on Ebay so I only have the photos. It's looks like there is some wear around the edges of the porcelain in the hallmark photo, but that's about it. You can see it if you enlarge that hallmark photo.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:50:49 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 07:08:28 pm »
It certainly could be, there are some old porcelain meat tenderizers out there and some pestle style ones as well. I guess if it were a meat tenderizer that you'd still use it "hammer style" since the bottom is flat. The wear looks consistant with some kind of either grinding or whacking, from what I can see.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 11:53:54 am »
In looking for Union Porcelain Works I keep seeing references to oyster plates. Could this thing be for an oyster hammer? If not, I was actually hunting for a meat tenderizer when I found it and that's what I'll use it for if its sturdy!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 02:58:42 pm »
I would be leery that it was to pound oyster shells....that would chip or break them after some time.  Whereas the meat is "soft" and pliable and wouldn't run the risk of breaking/cracking.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 03:20:48 pm »
Yeah I'm not into seafood myself, but I think an oyster knife would be more practical, since you would end up with bits of shell mixed in with the meat if you whacked the oyster with it. A meat tenderizer is about all I can come up with, unless I'm able to locate another like it.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 09:07:58 am »
I don't think it would last very long as a meat tenderizer. And besides, the flat edge around the circumference would not be conducive to tenderizing a steak.

With that flat bottom and the flat edge around the circumference I think it is the "plunger" part of a "press" with the missing part being a porcelain base with a hole in it that matches that plunger.

Maybe it is an old Drug Store Pharmacy item. Just about everything a Druggist used was made out of plated steel, glass or ..... porcelain.

I once purchased 4 large porcelain Apothecary jars, with gold knobs on the lids, decorations and names of the contents on the front of each one. Attached is an old picture I scanned in, enlarged and then cropped, showing them sitting on a desk in the bottom left of the picture. They were probably 14” in height.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 09:53:17 am »

Maybe it is an old Drug Store Pharmacy item. Just about everything a Druggist used was made out of plated steel, glass or ..... porcelain. 

Thats my guess too Cogar.I'm looking forward to learning what it is.GL

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 10:07:23 am »
Another way to research is by the name of the chief designer, Karl Mueller, a German-trained sculptor whose tenure at Union Porcelain Works was (1820-1887).  

Interesting enough, in the past we went over water containers for hygiene/health and the owner of UPW also owned a filter company and made water containers/filters!  They have lots of displays in the Brooklyn Museum.  If it was me, I wouldn't hesitate to inquire with them what they think it would be!
http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/opencollection/objects/2327/Water_Filter

The more I find out about his company the more I like  I will start looking and hoping to collect some pieces!
http://31corp.blogspot.com/2010/03/union-porcelain-works-daryle-lamberts.html
"This hard or true porcelain has been, ever since the days of Böttger of Meissen and the philosopher’s stone, a dream of the whiteware potter. It was the goal of many early American craftsmen but it was not until 1865 that it was first produced in this country. Thomas C. Smith, a New York architect, acquired the Union Porcelain Works in Brooklyn, built by William Bloch in 1854. On a trip to Europe he became interested in the manufacture of porcelain and returned to New York to initiate its production in 1865.For 45 years or more this factory made fine tableware and Karl Muller, who was its designer for most of that period, modeled a series of vases and statuettes, particularly the large and elaborate “show pieces” — the Century and Cerames vases and the Poets’ Pitcher and Liberty Cup (fig. 7). The firm used no mark until 1876, then, briefly, a conventional Eagle’s head, and finally its name, printed." http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/american-art-pottery/

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/archive/category.php?category_id=27&id=23636

WOw!  Impressed with this American porcelain company!!!!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:57:48 am by KC »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 10:40:45 am »
I saw the two UPW museum collections and went through their photos, hoping to find this funny little gadget, but no luck. I also left a comment on the blog of Daryle Lambert who wrote a blog post on UPW porcelains, hoping that he might have some insight. So far the blog comment hasn't been processed, but I'll keep checking on it. Maybe he's stumped by this one too, LOL!

UPW does look like it would be a really interesting porcelain to collect, and some pieces are very valuable but go unrecognized so there is the potential to score big with it too. That was what inspired me to  grab this little un-ID'd thing-a-ma-bobber, since it was only $12 bucks and it seemed like a fun way to learn about this company and pick up an interesting kitchen gadget, plus have fun doing yet another "what is it?" with you guys. This mystery piece was actually mis-listed on Ebay as United Porcelain Works but I googled UPW found what it really was and ID'd it with the 1877 logo. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for other UPW pieces in the future. Always good to know this stuff.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 11:06:08 am »

PLANT SYSTEM RAILROAD PORCELAIN ADVERTISING MATCH HOLDER AND STRIKER; MARKED "MADE BY UNION PORCELAIN WORKS, NEW YORK." Height=2.75

I will post pics of unusual items to get our brain cells buzzing....maybe something will touch a cord and we will figure this out!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 11:50:39 am »
Okay....after much searching this morning....I am convinced that this is a stomper.  Stompers were made for sugar (to make into cubes) and UPW made lots of tea set items.....they were made for butter (and they made lots of butter items)...... and it could have been used for the charcoal in their filter systems for water!

But, what kind of stomper I don't know!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 12:25:43 pm »
You might be onto something here KC! Check out these old sugar molds.

And this thing is from a modern sugar mold company who calls it a "cookie stamp mold" but I think it has a design whereas mine if flat and might be a sugar mold press or plunger: