Author Topic: Need info on Schlaggenwald Tray  (Read 7572 times)

karacole

• View Profile
Need info on Schlaggenwald Tray
« on: October 10, 2010, 07:14:00 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I am new here.  I am trying to get some information an a serving tray.  It is by Schlaggenwald.  It has a mark stamped at the back and is dated 1831 with SL6 imprinted.  I have look at replacement.com but in their SL6 category the pattern is different from this one.  It it not the same.  The tray is 18" long by 6" wide.  I am inserting  pictures.  If anyone can identify it and how much it is possibly worth, please let me know. 

Thanks
Heather

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Need info on Schlaggenwald Tray
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 09:31:27 am »
Schlaggenwald Porcelain Industry Bernhart & Co Marks
Schlaggenwald Porcelain Industry Bernhart & Co, Horni Slavkov, Czech Republic (Schlaggenwald, Bohemia, Austria)
1919 Josef Grosse, Eugen Hanusch, Heinrich, Heinrich Bernhart, and Georg Winterstein founded the factory in a former spinning mill. The factory name was Schlaggenwald Porcelain Industry Bernhart & Co. Even after the area officially became a new country, Czechoslovakia, the factory continued to use Austria in its Mark.
1925 Panzer & Co was a leaseholder. The owners were Rudolf Vigl and Emil Krahl.
In 1927, the owners of Haas & Czjzek and Sommer & Matschak protested against Panzer & Co for using the name Schlaggenwald Porcelain Industry in its name. This mark is very close to Sommer & Matschak's mark with the letters SM.
It closed in 1928.
http://www.collectorscircle.com/bohemian/porcelain/marks_table2.html

http://www.oldandsold.com/pottery/germany15.shtml

So......does your mark state whether it is Germany or Austria.  Unreadable!  Nice piece!  Germany pieces are pattern marked SCL on some.  Austria/Czech ones...the id number would be 1831. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 09:41:14 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

karacole

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 08:00:31 pm »
Thanks KC.

I am attaching a better picture of the mark that is at the back of the tray.  I did not see that mark on any listings you sent from those two sites.  The mark says Czechoslovakia.

Heather

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 08:07:50 pm »
It does say HC in the logo.....which is the information for the site I sent you.....just don't know about his Mark!!!

haven't seen another one like it!

Maybe Chris with Porcelain Marks & More will drop in and give an expert opinion....he is a much appreciated help on here!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 06:37:59 am »
KC you are right on   :D  !!!!!  Haas & Czjzek - Horn� Slavkov, Czech Republic (Schlaggenwald, Bohemia, Austria)

Founded in 1792 by Johann Georg Paulus, Johann Poschl, and Johann Reumann without a porcelain permit. Slavkovsk� is the Bohemian name of the forest and mountains surrounding this area. This is the first operational Porcelain factory in Bohemia.

1867 Johann Czjzek, a newphew, became a partner. The company name was Haas & Czjzek.
1872 the company bought the Portheim & Sons factory in Doln� Chodov, Czech Republic (Chodau, Bohemia, Austria).
After 1992 the Horn� Slavkov (Schlaggenwald) plant became independent from the nationalized company and is still in operation today as Haas & Czjzek .

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 02:45:18 pm »
I agree with KC, 1831 would probably be the pattern number not the year. If my schoolboy history still serves me OK then Czechoslovakia (as was)  only came about after 1918 ..post WW1

karacole

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 03:08:23 pm »
Thank you Mario.  What year do you think this tray was made in?  What do you think it is worth?

Thanks Again.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 04:46:51 pm »
karacole as you can see from the makers marks I posted the time period that your  mark was used is 1918 - 1945 You would need to find the pattern name & artist as I believe it is hand painted to pin down the exact year of production. Contact the company as they are still in business and I did find info. as to a Haas & Czjzek museum. Value I would say from checking online for Haas & Czjzek pieces $60.00 on a good day.

karacole

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 06:25:55 pm »
Thank you Wendy.  I appreciate it! :)

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 01:33:16 am »
Good Morning Heather,

Sorry, but I was only drawing from my schoolboy history ... I know virtually nothing about Bohemian glass, porcelain and so on. I know a little bit about Staffordshire and Derby pieces because they are so close to home.

Wendy has sound advice, she seems to have done her homework. I tried to pin down that particular back stamp, but gave up. It's definitely post 1918, and maybe even after 1927.

It is hard to tell, but it doesn't look transfer printed and then painted, it does seem to be 100% hand painted. It is a large piece which may help, and it is a pretty piece. Good luck with it!