Author Topic: Antique amphora?...need help identifying please  (Read 1462 times)

khunn

• View Profile
Antique amphora?...need help identifying please
« on: October 12, 2010, 02:11:44 am »
mother purchased at garage sale in Texas 40+yrs ago, says she bought it because it appeared to be very old. Looks like an amphora of some type..but from where originally? I was thinking South America, or maybe Mexico. Maybe something different all together. Any thoughts? thnx for looking.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Antique amphora?...need help identifying please
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 10:41:32 am »
The rope around the neck is not old, that much is clear. So I suspect that the jug is a reproduction intended to look old. You might also look at what the beads are made out of. They look pretty shiney, and if they are wooden, they look like they are machined and not carved by hand. But I think it is a nice repro that would look great with southwest decor! Also I'm not an expert so we should see what others say on this.  :)
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 03:03:52 pm »
Agree that it is a reproduction.  Have seen tons of them here in Texas over the years....and New Mexico!

Still nice though!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

khunn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 05:38:14 pm »
does an antique reproduction of an antique have any value???

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 05:59:50 pm »
For decorative purposes, yes. In general, an item should be 100 years old to be classified as "antique" and more than 50 years old to be classified as "vintage". Obviously this isn't strictly adhered to, but it's the general rule of thumb. Yours isn't new anymore and anything new loses value as soon as you take it home and it becomes "used". If I were going to try to sell it at a flea market or Craigslist I think I'd ask for $20 and be willing to negotiate. Sorry this wasn't better news!
Antiqueaholic in recovery