Author Topic: Need help with value of this book Please!  (Read 2290 times)

ssheri72

• View Profile
Need help with value of this book Please!
« on: October 12, 2010, 11:00:10 pm »
I found this book inside of another book that I picked up at a back yard sale. Ive tried to use a translator on the computer to figure out the age ect. I know or believe it is german. Inside written in pencil it's dated as recieving it from someone with a date of 1902. Any help with any information of this would be greatly appreciated! :) Thank You!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Need help with value of this book Please!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 11:18:20 pm »
I had just enough high school German to be able to tell that it is a religious book of some sort. Gott=God. Note the child's hands are in the praying position. Altavista's translation program said it was something like "God has succeeded" Perhaps someone else can tell you more.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 07:21:05 am »
It's probably only worth about what you paid for it at the yard sale. These sort of things don't tend to have much monetary value. It does look to be turn of the century.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 08:56:25 am »
I have several of these small books from when my Dad was a child altho that was in the 40's so maybe this is different.  I've never looked at the dates. Some of his were given out as promotional items it seems from the advertisements in the back.  Others were issued (or purchased from) the Catholic Church.  I'm sure other Churches did the same thing.  I have several shapes and sizes ranging from religous stories to Santa Claus to the Easter Bunny (if memory serves)...
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 09:14:58 am »
Looking at the top right hand corner there seems to be what looks like 'Sept 24' ... could be wrong, although September is still September in German, I think????

But I think that it's fair to say that anything with religious overtones (unless by a Master) tends to have very little actual value. We see some beautiful family bibles, dating back to the 17th and 18th centuries, in beautiful condition, that fetch next to nothing at Auction. It is a shame, but that seems to be the market
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 09:18:17 am by mariok54 »

ssheri72

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 08:15:51 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it! :)

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 10:53:46 pm »
My 2 cents  is there is some value on this book because of the great Jugendstil art/styling.

http://www.senses-artnouveau.com/biography.php?artist=JUG

Also think that just because a antique is religious doesn't mean little or no value.Lots of antique religious items on eBay bring good money (and plenty don't) even though a limited market.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 10:56:58 pm by Dean Perdue »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 12:40:39 pm »
Totally agree with Dean!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 04:22:21 pm »
Just realised that if there is an inscription inside for 1902, then it can't mean Sept '24.
Sorry if I gave the impression that I didn't think that it had any value, what I meant was that (even in my opinion) items like this are totally undervalued over here. I am beginning to learn that there is some difference in some values depending on what side of the pond you're on (but then again prices vary so dramatically from one auction house to another) :(.