Author Topic: Mascot or mini urn?  (Read 1828 times)

mariok54

• View Profile
Mascot or mini urn?
« on: October 16, 2010, 09:03:07 am »
Hi,

I picked this up in a local charity shop (don't ask me why),but I'm a little puzzled as to what it might have been for.
It seems to be made of bronze, but when you look closely at the threaded holes on the underside one looks bronze, but the other looks more gold, almost like brass. However, the figure seems to have a nice patination and seems to be bronze (but what do I know?)
Do you think it might have been a mascot; or maybe even a tiny urn for your beloved cat's ashes? but it would have needed to be a tiny cat as it only stands 8 cm high. (glancing over at our very rotund moggy I don't think we'd get her front paw into it!!)
Thankfully no teasing signature this time :D

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Mascot or mini urn?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 09:40:27 am »
I wonder if it was the top to something and was screwed in from the bottom like a drawer pull.  My kitty was a tiny little thing and her ashes wouldn't have come close to fitting.  Perhaps the top to a box for ashes - lol

I think it's adorable!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 04:52:08 pm »
Looks to me like it should be attached to a piece of wood & hung on the wall for a coat hook.  :D  Very cute!!!

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 01:15:58 am »
I am thinking it is a book holder if it is heavy enough or possibly a recipe card holder.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 01:23:32 am »
I'll just take my coat off it, unscrew it from the wall, and see if it'll take a book..  ;)

Sorry Wayward...  :) 

It has quite a bit of weight to it but wouldn't take a book, not even if it were screwed down. it's far too small, only c 8cm tall from ground to claw.

What do you think about the style? It could be anything from the 30s to yesterday

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 02:05:15 am »
Sorry, I did not read the 8cm note in the first post but I am wondering whay you would ask what it is if you are already using it as a coat hanger?  An object is what it is used for at the moment.  I think it is India style for Pier 1.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 02:08:33 am »
Hi Wayward... Sorry, I was joking... Just before your last post Wendy suggested it might have been a coat hanger, then I read yours.....   :-[