Author Topic: U.S Navy silverware....  (Read 5505 times)

homeslice24

U.S Navy silverware....
« on: October 16, 2010, 07:58:09 pm »
So basically i had some silverware laying around. I asked a couple people and they said it might be from the Captains HQ, who else would have silverware like this?
It has a hallmark and i have some pictures Below. Knife and a fork but the fork has some sort of attachment on the bottom i thought it might of been for a stand or something
someone said it might be a marrow scoop but i don't think so. Let me know what you thing and what the value might be. (Blade is dull)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h41/homeslice24/2010-10-16201352.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h41/homeslice24/2010-10-16201414.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h41/homeslice24/2010-10-16201405.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h41/homeslice24/2010-10-16201433.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h41/homeslice24/2010-10-16201442.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h41/homeslice24/2010-10-16201547.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h41/homeslice24/2010-10-16201605.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h41/homeslice24/2010-10-16201642.jpg
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:59:46 pm by homeslice24 »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: U.S Navy silverware....
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 11:41:09 pm »
     What you have is the pattern called Kings.  This was a pattern made by many different manufactures in the late 19th and early 20th century.  What we need to establish is are there any other hallmarks on the items other then the navy symbol?   It may help to figure out which manufacture made this.  Basically there were several patterns made by many manufacture for Hotel, Restraurant and Military service.  The most common being the Fiddle and the shell pattern. You will find lots of Navy in the Fiddle pattern espically.  I would also assume that this was Stamped for at least someone of some rank, being the kings pattern is one of the more fancy of these patterns.  As for value on these, I would say that they would be higher then most silverplate ware on the market today.  Most Silverplate goes for under $1.00 each.  Knives tend to be a bit less value, but serving pieces can get preimum prices.  But I think we need to find the manufacture marks before making any value judgement.  I will note that my favorite book considers this pattern collectible.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 01:50:28 am »
Hi,

The fork with the piece sticking out is the carving fork.

Try this link, it may help with identification and possible value.

http://www.thepirateslair.com/naval_navy_silverware_silver_plate_flatware.html

Good Luck!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 11:36:44 am »
Okay, my 2 cents......HIGHLY COLLECTIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!  Any military ware (mostly Navy) is selling like hotcakes with maple syrup!!!!!!
I have monitored it for the past few years....and I have NEVER seen items NOT sale - that is unless it was listed rediculously high....but bidding always was competitive!

Nice carving set...these are not as common as knives/forks/spoons!

FYI a little info on Oneida:  "1918 saw the major powers of the world at war. When the United States entered World War I, Oneida quickly swung into action by producing ammunition clips, lead-plated shells, combat knives and surgical instruments. The onset of World War II and the Korean War saw Oneida providing even more assistance to the military. Oneida manufactured silverware for the Army and Navy, surgical instruments, rifle sights, parachute releases, hand grenades, shells, survival guns, bayonets, aircraft fuel tanks, and chemical bombs. In addition, it purchased a separate factory to make jet engine parts, aircraft survival kits, and even army trucks! Oneida has a history of significant and invaluable contributions to United States defense need."

There are many companies that made items for the military as ironlord stated....was put up for bid.  The shell pattern (aka Kings, Shell, etc) is the most collectible but others are collected as well. 

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

homeslice24

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 03:28:27 pm »
Thanks for the responses, i did see im extremely small print the manufacturer but i have to take another look and post a reply.

homeslice24

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 07:07:41 am »
Ok, the manufacture is International Silver Company. Let me know what you guys think

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 08:15:54 am »
I am not sure what else you are inquiring about.....

By-the-way...your fork has a "stabilizer" on it to help secure the grip on the meat while it is being carved.  You don't see this type much....kind of goes with fads.

Cannot tell the condition of your items from the pics and would require a hands on (to check for wear, pitting, etc).  I would muster that in pristine condition (tip top) the set would range from $58 to $100+ for die hard collectors.  The higher end would be realized if you had a store/shop.

As for the captain using the items...he may well have, but these pieces were most likely used by all the officers on the ships.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

homeslice24

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 09:45:43 pm »
I am not sure what else you are inquiring about.....

By-the-way...your fork has a "stabilizer" on it to help secure the grip on the meat while it is being carved.  You don't see this type much....kind of goes with fads.

Cannot tell the condition of your items from the pics and would require a hands on (to check for wear, pitting, etc).  I would muster that in pristine condition (tip top) the set would range from $58 to $100+ for die hard collectors.  The higher end would be realized if you had a store/shop.

As for the captain using the items...he may well have, but these pieces were most likely used by all the officers on the ships.

Thanks for the reply, i was wondering if i should restore it to mint condition. I was told that the value might be more if i left the pieces untouched/cleaned. If not i am planning on using the baking soda hot water and aluminum foil to clean both pieces & should i sharpen the blade or leave it as is?

Hi,

The fork with the piece sticking out is the carving fork.

Try this link, it may help with identification and possible value.

http://www.thepirateslair.com/naval_navy_silverware_silver_plate_flatware.html

Good Luck!

Ironic how your avatar is a turkey, its about that time of year maby i can get better pricing for it lol. And thanks for the link

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 09:50:59 pm by homeslice24 »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 10:13:41 pm »
    As for Restoring them, I would if you are planning to use them this Holiday and ones to come, If not Then if you are wanting to keep and cherish them, Then the discission is yours, If you are wishing to sell then "as is" is usually perferred for the most part.  I'm a bit unsure of the method you are mentioning, also a bit curious too ???.    A good soft polish and or a silvercloth is all you need.   Keep in mind these are silverplate and too much polish and cleaning will wear off the plate.  Generally if they are for table use.  Clean them before use, after word, gently hand wash them, dry them gently.   Before putting away let them cool and polish again next year before the holidays.  The reason silverplate fell out of favor for everyday use was the labor involved to keep a silverplate flatware, and holloware nice looking.  After the 1940's they pretty much was Holiday table settings.  all in all Silverplate had a short life span, but between the 1880's and 1940's  So much was made and today so much is out there.  These are pretty unique and would look great on the Holiday Table when polish, or even a pride in a hooiser  ;)       

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 12:29:44 am »

Ironic how your avatar is a turkey, its about that time of year maby i can get better pricing for it lol. And thanks for the link

[/quote]

Turkey?? She's just fallen off her roost having heard that...  :)  That's Fedora, one of our hens

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 01:13:23 am »
That was a silly thing to say ... you have turkey hens as well   ::) ... She's one of our chickens .. or chooks as you fondly call them over there   :)

homeslice24

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 07:39:10 am »
    As for Restoring them, I would if you are planning to use them this Holiday and ones to come, If not Then if you are wanting to keep and cherish them, Then the discission is yours, If you are wishing to sell then "as is" is usually perferred for the most part.  I'm a bit unsure of the method you are mentioning, also a bit curious too ???.    A good soft polish and or a silvercloth is all you need.   Keep in mind these are silverplate and too much polish and cleaning will wear off the plate.  Generally if they are for table use.  Clean them before use, after word, gently hand wash them, dry them gently.   Before putting away let them cool and polish again next year before the holidays.  The reason silverplate fell out of favor for everyday use was the labor involved to keep a silverplate flatware, and holloware nice looking.  After the 1940's they pretty much was Holiday table settings.  all in all Silverplate had a short life span, but between the 1880's and 1940's  So much was made and today so much is out there.  These are pretty unique and would look great on the Holiday Table when polish, or even a pride in a hooiser  ;)       

Ok, thanks for the reply i guess leaving them as is would be for the best. Now the only thing i have to figure out is where to sell them, i have an ebay account but i have to pay to post and they take a percentage for their selves. Other option is sotheby's if i can get in contact with them but i have to get them to the auction house in NY which is going to take more time.

That was a silly thing to say ... you have turkey hens as well   ::) ... She's one of our chickens .. or chooks as you fondly call them over there   :)

lol I couldn't tell