Author Topic: old rush rocker  (Read 5057 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: old rush rocker
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 10:56:39 pm »
Oceans, my hat is off to you!!!!!!

My kiddos and I had ALMS as the first name and was sure it was oepke....

The company was in operation "on the parkway" from 1878 until it closed April 3, 1954.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/OHHAMILT/2000-04/0956618637

still in line with what I surmised late 1800's early 1900's.

can't find detailed info on who their chair suppliers were!...That hopefully will come from a researching fiend on this site!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cee_jay

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 07:25:47 am »
WOW thanks everyone!!!! What GREAT information. I found one on ebay yesterday, he said that if it had the metal plate on the bottom it was a reproduction. he was selling his for "buy it now" for $450.00
I tryed to add the link but the listing has expired.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 09:00:02 am »
What's interesting is that for such a large company and for all the years of service...  You find very little of the furniture for sale today. I have found none that I can see a pic of. There is a syrofoam mirror on ebay with a sticker....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290474239019

I read in a Google Book that their philosophy was to sell with small profit margin so maybe it wasn't value much by the purchasers? I don't know.  Very cool tho cee jay.  I just love things about which you can tell a story...  and in another 20/30 years (or so) you will have a bona-fide antique!  hahaha...  Altho it's probably worth more today than most true antique chairs out there.  There are lots of stories about Grandpa working for Alms & Deopke (not mention Cincinnati History in general). I imagine it opens up a market that wouldn't necessarly be there for just any other Rocker.

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 11:06:56 am »
Well done Oceans... some good detective work there!!!

I wonder if could take up the option to sell the 'new' Thor Speed Iron ...? With its totally new speed principle .... the mind boggles!!