Author Topic: Pricing Question 1800's Presentation Piece  (Read 5066 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Pricing Question 1800's Presentation Piece
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 10:43:57 am »
I will try to look more this afternoon...  It looks to me that John (below) is actually Joseph.  Whoever transcribed the census at Ancestry.com got it wrong IMO so Joseph m. Louise in 1880.  I'm starting to get a picture of this family but i only have minutes at a time so bear with me...

In the 1900 census Joseph is listed as a Cigar maker as was his son.  I believe he may have been in business with his brother John Hatzman.  Their father's name was John and he was a grocer... 

Keep in mind, all of this is preliminary but perhaps you would know if Cigar making is still a good business in Kentucky, particularly Louisville or Jefferson County
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

wdtanner

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 10:47:16 am »
The poor college student in me kicked in and I posted this on ebay, in case anyone's interested.  I love learning about it and would really like to track down this family - but the sad fact is I need the money.  I recently left my 10-year career in the IT field to attend college on the GI bill, and let's just say that depending on the government for your paycheck is not always the best idea. They don't really care if you have three kids & a pile of bills...   ... rant, rant, rant - sorry   :) 

Anyway - here's the ebay listing if anyone's interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160496880104&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 10:50:30 am »
ETA:  HA!!!  I think we posted at the same time...  Can you post a link to the item and I'll let the researcher know in case he's interested.

I heard back from the Hatzman researcher.  The original/probable owner of this pitcher was a brother of his Great Grandfather.  As far as I can tell, he is the only one researching the Hatzaman family which is unfortunate and far as a “market” for this piece.  Here was his response…

Hi. If I am correct, the John (Joseph) Hatzman that you are referring to is a distant cousin. He is my great grandfather's brother. My great grandfather was Jacob Hatzman. My records show that (he) was born 12/28/1858 and died 1/21/1938 in Covington (Kenton County) Kentucky. Apparently he was married a short time to a Louisa Hunt. They had one son together. John Hunt Hatzman who died in 1943 at age 56.
Hope this helps.

I have a bit more information for you on the entire family.  Unfortunately, this marriage ended in divorce which may or may not explain the garage sale (still no excuse IMO!!  lol). The info is mostly from Census records… (1880, 1990, 1910)  Keep in mind while reading that Joseph is the (probable) owner of the pitcher…

The earliest info I have on this family is from 1880 Louisville KY Census.  John Hatzmann Sr is listed as Keeping a Grocery.  He was b. abt 1830 in Naussau (Germany).  His father and mother were from Germany.  He was married to Katie (Surname unknown).  Katie was born in Apr 1835 in Hessen (Germany) and immigrated to this country in 1848 (Source: 1900C).  John Sr. and Katie listed 3 children:

John Jr who was b. in KY about 1859 and worked in a Cigar Shop
Nelly who was b. in KY about 1876. She was adopted according to the census
Joseph who was b. in KY about 1863 and was attending school in 1880.

Also living in the same district was:
Jacob Hatzmann who was b. about 1856.  He was married to Mary (Surname unknown) and had a daughter Katie who was born in KY about 1878.  Jacob is the son of John Sr. and Katie (above)

There is no 1890 Federal Census as it was lost in a fire…

In the 1900 Louisville KY Census we have…

Kate Hatzmann is now widowed.  In her lifetime she claims to have had 6 children and now only 4 were living. She was listed as living with a son Andrew who was 33 years old (b. Apr 1866).  It’s interesting that Andrew was not listed in the 1880 census 20 years prior.  It may be that he was adopted after 1880.  

Katie’s adopted daughter Nellie was also living at home with her mother.  Nellie is listed as widowed and was using the last name Woodhead.  Nellie had a son Franke who was 4 months old at the time.

There is no evidence in KY of John Hatzmann Jr in KY. I am going to guess he died sometime between the 1880 Census and 1900.

Jacob and his second wife is listed along with other family members.

Joseph (John on the transcription at Ancestry.com but the original record shows Joseph) was married to Louise (Louisa) Hunt for at least 20 years (1880).  Louise was b. Apr 1860 in KY and her parents were from England. John and Louise had 3 children in their marriage but only 2 were living.  Louise was the daughter of Agnes (father) and Hendreker/Fredreker (Mother).  They owned a small dairy farm.

The children of Louise and Joseph were: A daughter Henrietta. She was b. in KY in Oct 1883 and a son John who was b. in KY in May 1886. Joseph was a Cigar Maker and his son John was also listed as making Cigars.  His daughter Henrietta was listed as a bookkeeper.  There is a good chance this is a family business in my opinion.

By 1910, Louise is living with her daughter “Nettie” and her son in law John C Lulanf/Lnlanf (sp??).  John and Nettie (Henrietta) had no children.  Louisa is listed as divorced on the census.  In the 1911, Louisville, Kentucky 1911 City Directory Page 0534 she is listed as “Widowed” but not unusual to fib a little about this due to the stigmatism of divorce.

I can’t find Joseph in the 1910C but here is where you would rely on family info from the email above…

Let me know if you have any questions, best of luck.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 10:52:23 am by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

wdtanner

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 11:10:45 am »
Ha! That's a pretty funny bit of timing there.

And again - I'm absolutely amazed at what you're able to come up with in such a short time.  The internet really is an amazing thing - as is YOUR ability to decipher the facts you've found with it.  I've always been a hardcore Google junkie - for example, I've had no formal college, but have made my way in a pretty technical field (IT) for ten years now on power of Google alone (up until quitting for school, that is).

Be careful.  You guys are going to turn me into an addict.

Oh, and on a serious note - thanks so much for putting time into looking into this for me!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 11:21:17 am »
Oceans,  You deserve a virtual gold star for that little gem of a piece of research!