Author Topic: Grandfather clock age and value  (Read 6126 times)

woodsy pete

• View Profile
Grandfather clock age and value
« on: October 20, 2010, 07:07:42 pm »
Wondering if anyone would happen to know the approximate age and value of my grandfather clock.  It's been in the family for generations and came across the ocean from Germany. It still works good and keeps time quite well. Any help would be MUCH appreciated! No identification tags, numbers, stamps or words.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Grandfather clock age and value
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 07:25:29 pm »
    I am by no means a expert here, but just had to say wow.  Really Wow, this is sure to be a good thread.

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 09:16:07 pm »
I agree with ironlord that this is a very nice clock!  No markings on any of the metal clockworks?  Some makers put their marks on the internal plates that are not visible unless it is taken apart.  I do not understand why they would do that.  I think the font style of the numbers around the roman numerals may be a key as to age.

woodsy pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 03:40:37 am »
Thanks for the compliments!  After work today I'll pull the top off again and get out the flashlight and small mirror and see if I can get into the mechanics of it a little deeper to look for id marks.

Pete

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 04:23:00 am »
Good idea Pete a little round dentist mirror with the long handle would help. beautiful piece!!!!

gingertomantiques

• View Profile
    • GINGER TOM ANTIQUES
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 04:59:51 am »
from the pics my gut feeling is
German round top floor clock. circa 1900, oak veneer over pine case made for export
These were made by the thousands by many manufacturers at that time period. Back then there were so many manufacturers, and sadly, many went unmentioned and just disappeared into obscurity. A lot of these clocks were not marked by their manufacturer,
If yours was it would have a trademark on the back of the movement. Gustav Becker, Keinenger and Obergfell, were typically marked, along with Junghans.
Schwenningen was a large manufacturing area, and many unmarked clocks came from there.

woodsy pete

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 05:43:08 am »
One thing I failed to mention (on purpose) was that someone has scribed "1838" into the round metal plate at the top of the face.  It looks to have been done with a scriber and is far from professional looking.  I have no clue when this was done or by who or whether it is the actual date it was built.  I left this detail out as I didn't want it to throw anyone off as again I have no idea when or who added this.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 11:02:34 am »
Beautiful clock!
Gingertom, I'm not clear on where you are seeing veneer. I don't see it, can you elaborate please? It also looks older than 1900 to me. I don't know if 1838 is the date, it could also perhaps have been added to commemorate an anniversary. Perhaps a 25th or 50th, which might put it at about 1888 or 1863?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 11:33:48 am »
Tales, I think it is because the back of the front door (in the open position shot) appears to be pine while the front of the door appears to be oak.  Veneer in those days was much thicker than it is now.

woodsy pete

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 12:47:42 pm »
Would more pictures be helpful? Let me know what to capture and I'll post them in afew hours.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 01:07:54 pm »
@Wayward: OK, I thought it was solid oak with walnut colored stain.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 01:48:23 pm »
I'm not sure that Tales might not be right. There seems to be some solid oak there... but the pictures could do with being a little clearer.

Follow this link, it looks very much like yours

http://www.windibank.co.uk/auctions/Lot625-E-Bilbie-Chewstoke-8-Day-Striking-Longcase-Clock.asp

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:09:36 pm by mariok54 »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 01:51:24 pm »
Here's one pic from the site

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 04:16:27 pm »
This pic looks like dark walnut stain on oak to me, very similar to an antique oak table and chairs that I have: You can see some drips on the right of this picture, unless I'm not seeing this correctly. (Please correct me if I'm off-base with this one) :-)

waywardangler

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 04:45:00 pm »
Tales, I tend to agree with you.  I do not see anything other than oak on the whole piece.  I was commenting on what gingertomantiques thought would be veneer.  Even the backboard looks like oak to me.